Hard drive only running at SATA 1.5Gbps when capable of 3

orangecat

I have an old SATA 2 drive that's capable of 3 gigabits per second of connection speed but its only running at SATA 1 1.5 gigabits per second. I have an X570 motherboard with 6 SATA 3 6 gigabit per second ports. When its plugged in to any SATA port on this motherboard it only runs at half speed when in Windows it shows up as being capable of more and even in the spec sheet it shows the same. I can't see why any of my SATA ports would be limited in speed considering there are 2 other hard drives plugged in running at SATA 3 6 gigabit per second. Why this third drive can't run at full speed is beyond me at the moment as all of the hardware it capable of running full speed.

Any ideas?

Also the motherboard is specifically an X570-A Pro from MSI.

image.thumb.png.12c2d1609d76f6cf4c91072ad1626a50.png

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

THis won't affect performance at all. The hdd is slower than even sata 1.5gBit. 

Try a different cable, a bad cable can do this.

I know it won't affect performance much but it can affect burst performance or when utilizing the onboard cache. I've tried another cable but it seems to have done nothing. in the end I'm not super concerned over this but I would like to figure out why it's doing this. I cant see any obvious reason why it would.

2 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

I know it won't affect performance much but it can affect burst performance or when utilizing the onboard cache. I've tried another cable but it seems to have done nothing. in the end I'm not super concerned over this but I would like to figure out why it's doing this. I cant see any obvious reason why it would.

Does the drive run at 3gbit on other systems?

I have doen a good amount of hdd speed testing, and the cache burst speeds don't seem to be a thing, so it won't help you there either.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does the drive run at 3gbit on other systems?

I have doen a good amount of hdd speed testing, and the cache burst speeds don't seem to be a thing, so it won't help you there either.

It does run at higher speeds on other systems. This motherboard is capable of sata 1.5/3/6gbps speeds on all 6 of it's ports.

What's the model number on both drives?

edit: Nevermind, I see what you're saying now.

Did you check to see if there's a jumper on the drive?  Also, it could be set to IDE instead of ACHI which could be limiting the speed.  Beyond that, it could be fixed with a firmware update, but good look getting that from WD on that old of a drive.

18 hours ago, JarredTX said:

Did you check to see if there's a jumper on the drive?  Also, it could be set to IDE instead of ACHI which could be limiting the speed.  Beyond that, it could be fixed with a firmware update, but good look getting that from WD on that old of a drive.

Everything is setup correctly from what I can tell. The SATA controller is running in AHCI mode. The drive has never had any jumpers installed on it nor is it old enough to need jumpers.

I only mentioned jumpers because those drives were first made by WD about 12 years ago and just because you didn't buy it 12 years ago doesn't mean it wasn't sitting on a shelf since then.  Back then, all drives, even SATA ones came with preinstalled jumpers.  But like I said, I'd check to see if there's a firmware update.  That drive should be on 1.03B01 which was released in 2018 so if your drive is older than that it probably needs to be updated.