Lots of problems after installing RTX 2060

ka_re_t

I installed my RTX 2060 recently, and now I've discovered some new issues with my build.  I think the problem is strain on my PSU, but I could be wrong.  

Here are the symptoms:

• During media playback (YT, local file, any video really) the whole computer will stutter.  Like there'll be a split second of loud static in my headphones and the video will stop briefly.
    • Applications other than the video will also stutter, including mouse movement
    • Doesn't happen when listening to music on Spotify, but will happen when watching a video in the browser or with a local application
  • Microphone has acquired a strong buzzing noise
    • Doesn't appear when using my HyperX Cloud with my laptop in the same room
    • Occurs when connected to both front panel IO and rear IO

Here's my build:

• Gigabyte x470 Gaming 5 Wifi
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • 16 GB of DDR4 memory running at 2400MHz 
  • MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS XS 6G OC 
  • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4
  • WD Blue 1TB HDD
  • Toshiba 2TB HDD
  • Phanteks AMP 750W
  • Corsair CX450

Let me know if you have any more questions, or possible answers.  Both issues are concerning.  I've already RMA'd the motherboard once because it died on me, I'm using the fixed/replacement one they sent me in 2019.     

Update 2/2021: I replaced the cheap Corsair PSU.  The stutter is less frequent, but it’s still here.  The buzzing mic issue seems to be gone, but now I’ve picked up an echo somewhere.  Could just be the acoustics of my room.

Regardless, I think the Gigabyte motherboard is the culprit.  It’s a shame because you’d expect more out of a $175 motherboard from a well-known brand... dead once at 18months old, problematic less than a year after RMA repair.

Edited by ka_re_t

1 minute ago, ka_re_t said:

Corsair CX450

This may be part of your problem; you are over stressing your PSU. 450watts is not enough for that build, you are pulling 360-400 watts of 450 which is a heavy load for that PSU.

40-50% is what you should looking to pull from a PSU, not 75-85%.

I know that pending on the load that GPU can pull more and max out the PSU.

I'll let others chime in, but that is my opinion.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I agree with what @SansVarnic said. 450 watts is not enough for that system. I have a 3700X build with a GTX 970 and I can easily pull over 500 watts under load. You're videocard is much more powerful than mine and can easily consume 200 watts if not more. if anything you're likely right on the edge of what that PSU can do and it's likely putting out dirty power with lots of ripple thats causing your hardware to glitch out and cause problems. I would personally consider a nice seasonic 700-1000 watt PSU. 700 watt should be more than enough unless you plan on upgrading to more powerful hardware.

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

This may be part of your problem; you are over stressing your PSU. 450watts is not enough for that build, you are pulling 360-400 watts of 450 which is a heavy load for that PSU.

40-50% is what you should looking to pull from a PSU, not 75-85%.

I know that pending on the load that GPU can pull more and max out the PSU.

I'll let others chime in, but that is my opinion.

That's my thought too, but here's the thing: these problems occur regardless of the load.  In fact, the stuttering doesn't happen at all when I play Warzone at 1080p on max settings 😅 my computer runs smoothly then (except for the persistent buzz).

What could be causing the stuttering?

3 minutes ago, ka_re_t said:

What could be causing the stuttering?

My money would be on the dirty power/hard draw on the psu.

The only thing I could suggest is, if you are able, see if there is another system you can test the gpu in like a friend's or family's pc...

If there is no change the gpu could have an issue itself.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

23 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

My money would be on the dirty power/hard draw on the psu.

The only thing I could suggest is, if you are able, see if there is another system you can test the gpu in like a friend's or family's pc...

If there is no change the gpu could have an issue itself.

Funny thing is, the PSU exhaust is never hot.  I don't think they're meant to get as hot as a CPU/GPU, but I'd expect something... nope.  Even after an hour of gaming (high power draw) it's room temperature.  I’d expect some heat if it’s that close to maximum load which is why I find this strange.  I suppose its also a good thing that my PC is on a desk, otherwise I might run into worse problems.

1 hour ago, ka_re_t said:

Funny thing is, the GPU exhaust is never hot.  I don't think they're meant to get as hot as a CPU/GPU, but I'd expect something... nope.  Even after an hour of gaming (high power draw) it's room temperature.  I suppose its also a good thing that my PC is on a desk, otherwise I might run into worse problems.

Interesting, my gpu always runs hotter than my cpu....

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Interesting, my gpu always runs hotter than my cpu....

Sorry, typo, meant to say PSU

• 1 month later...

[sorry for necro]

I upgraded my power supply the other day and it seems to have fixed the problem entirely!  I’m now running a Phanteks Amp 750W because it’s ranked highly in the Tier List, and because it’s fully modular at the same price as the semi modular Focus GM 750W.  No problems gaming while running my 1080p monitor and 4k tv from the 2060 (although I can only game at 2K if I want lots of frames, but that’s to be expected).

Alright, I spoke too soon... the buzzing/stuttering is less frequent but not gone.  It’s still there.  Could it be the motherboard?

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get anywhere with this mate?  I have EXACTLY the same issue on a Dell XPS 8930 and am going throught the 'process' of them solving the issue, with no joy.