RTX 3070 Ryzen 5 5600X lower than average FPS

Radec

Hi, so in certain games im getting only around 140 frames average. In warzone when my friend and I who have the same specs were playing he had 190+ fps while mine was around 120-140 any thoughts on how I can fix it?

Ive tried DDU and tried multiple drivers and I am still getting the same results. Another thing I noticed is that my CPU gets up to 80degrees c when in game. Its watercooled. Let me know if you need extra info.

80c watercooled on a 5600X is higher than I'd expect, even on something like a 120mm rad. It's possible the CPU is limiting boost clocks due to temperature.

try re-mounting the CPU cooler maybe?

Another thing that makes a huge difference with Zen 3 is memory. What's your memory speed and CL latency? (and what does your friend have)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

A watercooled CPU should definitely not reach 80C. Especially a Ryzen 5 5600x (65W TDP) in gaming. Check your CPU block mount and your thermal paste application. If it's an AIO, what size is it?

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

You might not have adequate airflow. Do you have intake fans and exhaust fans.

You should also check your cpu and gpu usage as that will help determine if you are thermal throttling.

My memory is 3600

1 minute ago, tishous said:

A watercooled CPU should definitely not reach 80C. Especially a Ryzen 5 5600x (65W TDP) in gaming. Check your CPU block mount and your thermal paste application. If it's an AIO, what size is it?

I had just changed the thermal paste, is it posssible to tighten the AIO down too hard? My RAM is 3600f. The AIO is a 210mm 

2 minutes ago, inferno47 said:

You might not have adequate airflow. Do you have intake fans and exhaust fans.

Yes I have 2 intakes where the rad is in the front and 2 in the back for exhaust

Have you checked on other games as on my pc i limited my max fps to boost my 1 percent lows. Do you also have a monitor that can take advantage of 190 + fps.

3 minutes ago, Radec said:

My memory is 3600

I had just changed the thermal paste, is it posssible to tighten the AIO down too hard? My RAM is 3600f. The AIO is a 210mm 

Make sure the RAM is actually running at 3600Mhz (XMP is enabled)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Radec said:

My memory is 3600

You want it to be tight. A good rule of thumb is if you can screw it down more using just your wrist then it isn't tightened down enough. Do you mean 240mm AIO? If so, then yeah you should not be reaching those temperatues unless you have one or no fans on your radiator.

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

1 minute ago, tishous said:

You want it to be tight. A good rule of thumb is if you can screw it down more using just your wrist then it isn't tightened down enough. Do you mean 240mm AIO? If so, then yeah you should not be reaching those temperatues unless you have one or no fans on your radiator.

All fans are there. Gonna fire up the game with MSI to see the details so I can show you all the numbers.

2 minutes ago, inferno47 said:

Have you checked on other games as on my pc i limited my max fps to boost my 1 percent lows. Do you also have a monitor that can take advantage of 190 + fps.

yes I have a benq 240hz monitor

Just now, Radec said:

All fans are there. Gonna fire up the game with MSI to see the details so I can show you all the numbers.

Good idea. The 5600x should boost to about 4.5/4.6Ghz in games if there is enough cooling.

I couldnt get it to show but the CPU was running at 4.5

So I guess the solution is to reapply thermal paste?

20 minutes ago, Radec said:

Hi, so in certain games im getting only around 140 frames average. In warzone when my friend and I who have the same specs were playing he had 190+ fps while mine was around 120-140 any thoughts on how I can fix it?

Ive tried DDU and tried multiple drivers and I am still getting the same results. Another thing I noticed is that my CPU gets up to 80degrees c when in game. Its watercooled. Let me know if you need extra info.

I find it most like your render resolutions are set to different values in the settings. Or some other different game setting. Your cpu is reaching the correct boost speed and your system utilization is low. Others say thermal throttling, but you wouldn't be at boost speed of 4.5Ghz if it was throttling. Also Does it even matter? Is your monitor faster than 144hz? Your fps limit should be set to your monitor refresh rate regardless. 

2 minutes ago, Houndz199 said:

I find it most like your render resolutions are set to different values in the settings. Or some other different game setting. Your cpu is reaching the correct boost speed and your system utilization is low. Others say thermal throttling, but you wouldn't be at boost speed of 4.5Ghz if it was throttling. Also Does it even matter? Is your monitor faster than 144hz? Your fps limit should be set to your monitor refresh rate regardless. 

The monitor is 240 hz benq

Also it shows that both the cpu and gpu aren't being utilised fully

4 minutes ago, Houndz199 said:

yes I have a 240hz monitor, yes is plays smoothly but im just trying to get the most out of my hardware. 

1 minute ago, inferno47 said:

The monitor is 240 hz benq

Nice on that! thermal throttle is an easy test, run a benchmark for 15ish minutes and see if your boost speed has to slow down when the temps equalizes. Apparently max temp on Ryzen chip is 95C, hard 'programmed' into the chip. If its getting that hot, then then its thermal throttling to protect itself. 

Any thoughts on how to solve the low utilization problem?