ASUS RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING VS ASUS RTX 3080 ROG Strix OC

Trax

Hi all! Okay im in a very odd situation that took me by surprise, and now forcing me to solve the elephant in the room.

But a quick catch up to how i ended here might be needed, (If you don't care about shizzle like that, jump down to: "So")

I ordered a Asus strix 3080 at launch, and as the majority i have been waiting, now the christmas holidays approached and i went tired of waiting, a company i nSweden got their hands on a bunch of Gainward and Gigabyte 3090's so i thought what the hell, i went with a Gainward 3090 Phoenix, and bloody hell do i regret it, compared to my 1080Ti this one turns anything and everything into heat, with custom fan profiles (max fans at 65degrees, same as my Asus Strix 1080Ti) this gpu went over and beyond of 58 where my 1080Ti had to work hard to climb over, This card goes up to 68 in Cyberpunk 2077 and it is a whiny 65db noise doing so, so i went and filed a return, when i did i saw they would get couple of Asus Tuf 3090's in so thought Damn my luck! I ordered one nad managed to get it, the day after it was sent from the company my 3080 that I ordered 3 months ago got shipped as well... And it says on the site "estimated in stock is 17/1/2021 so yeah, Surprise... Now I have a Tuf 3090 and a Strix 3080 coming my way, holy shit.

So now I am to pick one or the other, and I'm unsure where to stand.  Price wise, thanks to the Swedish taxes, it is almost double the price, but for once I'm not gonna care about that, What i want is a Card that's worth the cost and future proof as my 1080Ti was all these years.  And Is 3080 really future proof? or are Nvidia doing another 600 launch? where the Vram did choke on the gpu's,  For example (probably not the best, but good enough example) the Assassins creed Valhalla estimates a 100% Resolution Scale and everything ultra draws about 6,5Gb Vram. Crank that scale upto 200% and bang it draws 9,1Gb Wich dosnt leav alot of headroom before the scars 10Gb limit is breached, and i got no real clue on what the Resolution Scale is good for either to be honest, so this example might be completly illogical.

But soon all the new Engine games will come, as Ps5 and Xbox something gets more common, games bigger and graphic more marvelous, So I don't see the use of Vram getting any lower, and yes these cards are enormous on speed, so in reality maybe not even half the Vram is used? I have no clue and therefore I need your help!

And if you sit on extra information on what is the difference between Tuf and Strix, feel free to share! i have tried finding it on Google and basically it is "pay more for Strix and be able to overclock" which i got no damn clue on how to do.

and in general is the Tuf 3090 a more solid choice then the Strix 3080?

Main use is gaming and i want the graphics on max and enjoy all the eye candy out there, and i don't play pvp so that aspect is not bothering me, and i do use Video editing software (CyberLink PowerDirector) but not on a monthly basis.Specs:

Intel I9-9900KS (8core 5ghz on all cores)

32GB Ram

Acer predator Ultra wide 3440x1440 120Hz screen

200%.jpg

100%.jpg

Honestly if I was you ride the 1080ti out for longer. There WILL be a larger memory 3000 series card (as basically the mobile versions have confirmed) and I do see the memory being a issue for newer games in a couple years but not to the extent of the 680 2gb issue. Also the 3090 is their new core but on steroids so yeah expect a lot higher temps and just let it do that 68 is very chill as the card starts downclocking at 83c which is what it is made to do so either adjust the fans to let it get that hot or don't own a 3090.

I mean it is a function of time.....

The longer you wait for a new GPU the less value you get out of it.

If you are planning to buy a new one to keep up with the graphics the generation after the next.

Divide the price of the GPU by month and lets say 2 gen is 3 yearsish..... away that is 36 months so now if you wait for the new 3080 more VRAM that is 4 months from now probably and god knows how availability will look like. So thats around 11% value drop for waiting in gaming value..... That you miss out on while waiting and not gaming.

If we assume that time spent gaming is the value measure here.

I think all the ram usage is speculation....

Nobody really knows. Who knows how this whole new storage architecture will affect things? Direct GPU ram access by CPU games designed for PCI storage.

Might make VRAM a lot less important who knows?

I say if you can afford it just go for the 3090 Yes it is overkill but there is no downside besides price if you say you dont care about price well go for it.

The Strix has better cooling a more unlocked bios with more power generally the 3080 strix maxed out mower budget runs in most games equal to a stock 3090..... That will change if VRAM becomes an issue. Obviously a higher power budget 3090 can outperform at a huge power cost.

The 3090 produces a lot of heat so you need to be able to deal with that.

Also what PSU do you have? A 3090 really wants 1000W or more.

Oh I see, does it have any impact if the Gpu is working at 40, 60 or 80 degrees really? Because i have same steep fan curve on the CPU aiming to never let it hit 60, Im just not keen on having the hardware running at unneeded high tempratures, due to both life span, speed and the damn heat they put in the room :D

The chassi is a big tower, 3 140mm front fans blowing in, on the roof there are 3 fans also blowing in, but there are the Asus rog  Ryujin 360 CPU cooler, in the rear 1x140mm blow fan and in the floor 1x140mm fan sucking in cold air. there is 10 harddrives, 4Nvme 3SSD 3Mechanical HDD and to power it all is a corsair 850W gold PSU

what surprises me tho, The 3080 Strix and this Gainward 3090 both wants 3 power connections I am feeding it with 3 seperate cables from the PSU to the GPU to feed the power need, but the 3090 Tuf only wants 2
But basically, the GPU will go hotter than the 1080, so let's hope the Tuf's fan are not in the 65db class as the Gainward

Well if I remember correctly the 3080 Strix (I have one on order but cant be arsed to check right now) has something silly as a power target like 430W with the unlocked bios....... (This is how it can hit 3090 stock performance pretty easy)

It is basically a toaster oven.....

I mean worst case scenario deshroud the thing and put your own 120mm fans on it. That is my plan got myself some Noctua industrial fans in preparation.

The GPUs are designed to pull as much power as possible until they hit around 83 celsius.

A 850W should be ok for the 3080 unless you go unlocked bios.

But for a 3090 I would look at getting a 1000W

Working at 80 should be fine unless there is an issue with VRAM getting too hot or something.....

Does sometimes happen on the badly designed models.

But the Asus Tuf actually looks like the sweet spot for the 3080 so I think the 3090 should be ok? I would look for a teardown and a review.

Your text is not very night mode friendly

SPEC LIST:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x w/ AMD Wraith Stock Cooler

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B-450F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3200mhz (2x16gb)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE

PSU: Corsair 750x 80plus Gold 

FANS: Dual Corsair LL Series LL140mm Dual Light Loop RGB

MONITORS: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch FHD LED 144Hz (DP)
Lenovo - G25-10 24.5" LED FHD 144HZ Monitor (HDMI)

PATIENCE: NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

P.S: STILL REALLY WANTING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY ME TO GRAND CHAMPION IN ROCKET LEAGUE :)

P.P.S: I NO LONGER NEED TO BE CARRIED TO GRAND CHAMPION AS I HAVE MADE IT ON MY OWN 😁