Tips for purchasing a used phone online

KingofChips

Hi folks,

I would like to purchase a used phone and I was wondering If anyone has any advice to share.

I live in Canada and the mobile providers offer unlocked phones only under astronomical prices.

For that reason i looked into the used / refurbished market from BestBuy, amazon, eBay, craigslist, Walmart, the source.

When I look online I am most scared about buying a fake device or stolen device or a simply not functioning non refundable device.

I contacted a couple of sellers and asked for the IMEI number on the phone so that I could check if it is verified. I was met with fear and people hesitated about giving me that number.

Is there a different not so risky way for the seller and for me the buyer to check whether a device is legit or not?

Also are there maybe other sources for used phones you guys recommend?

First please establish:

10 hours ago, huilun02 said:

First please establish:

• Your phone service provider
  • The network type used by your service provider (CDMA or GSM)
  • Your budget
  • What you need and want in the phone

Thanks

• Telus
  • I think GSM
  • Less than 600
  • Processor and ram capable of simple computing for about 5 years. Not Chinese or from Google and Apple. Compact

There are couple mom and pop shops where I live that sell used electronics, you got something similar to that? So if there is an issue you can just bring it right back to the store and you can pick it up and get a feel for it before you use it.

On 12/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, KingofChips said:

Not Chinese or from Google and Apple. Compact

I think you'll find your options extremely limited then. I don't recall any phone that doesn't have at least some overseas parts in it.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

With your requrements only thing I can come up is Samsung Galaxy S10e. Even new they were under 600$. I would look into that.

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

17 hours ago, Sport Driver said:

With your requrements only thing I can come up is Samsung Galaxy S10e. Even new they were under 600$. I would look into that.

Nice! I forgot Samsung doesn't manufacture in China anymore since 2019.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

3 hours ago, v0id said:

Nice! I forgot Samsung doesn't manufacture in China anymore since 2019.

I didn't even know that. I thought he meant he doesn't want Chinese brands( Huawei, Xiaomi,...). But I did went to check and mine S20 FE is made in Vietnam actually. 

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

1 hour ago, Sport Driver said:

I thought he meant he doesn't want Chinese brands( Huawei, Xiaomi,...)

Re-reading his statement, you're probably right. I think I read a bit too much into it lol