My psu making a whistling/crackling noise

MrStealYoMs

When i play games with 200 plus fps my psu makes a crackling noise/whistling noise, here are my full system specs

Gtx 1060 gb 1 year old

ryzen 5 3600XT brand new

stock cooler brand new

16gb 3600mhz ram brand new

asus rog b450-f strix am4 mb brand new

1x2tb hdd wd green not new

1x480 gb kingston ssd brand new

CORSAIR CV650 BRAND NEW

Please i need a fast reply to know if my pc is gonna blow up or something or if i get a replacement the problem will be fixed cause when i got the psu there was a dent in the box so maybe the postman dropped it because when i opened the box the power lead that came with the power supply was broken and i had to use my own

The PSU can Coil Whine, but so can a GPU, does it happen all the time or only in games, 
Leaking CAPS can also make a fizzing/whistling noise.

I would say you should prob return/RMA the PSU if its super load. 

I wouldn't know if its going to blow up or not, how load is it? If you are worried then don't use it. and grab another PSU tomorrow. 

P.S my graphics card just blew up :( 

1 minute ago, Robsi said:

The PSU can Coil Whine, but so can I GPU, does it happen all the time or only in games, 
Leaking CAPS can also make a fizzing/whistling noise.

I would say you should prob return/RMA the PSU if its super load. 

I wouldn't know if its going to blow up or not, how load is it? If you are worried then don't use it. and grab another PSU tomorrow. 

P.S my graphics card jut blew up :( 

It happens only when i play games with over 200 fps im pretty sure, should i get a replacement or a new psu in general ? will the problem get fixed if i just get a replacement?

and sorry about ur gpu

It could be your GPU - are you sure it's your PSU? 

If you replace it, and it s a problem, it should go away!? I would say RMA it, but that will take time, picking up another PSU and return that one might be quicker? Also if you have a spare PSU you can try? Check out that link I put in the post above 

I fixed coil whine on one of my GPUs by applying hot glue around the base of the offending coil. Reduced the vibrations and in effect, noise.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

5 hours ago, MrStealYoMs said:

Gtx 1060 gb 1 year old

CORSAIR CV650 BRAND NEW

What's the lot code of the PSU?  Lot code is first 8 digits of the serial number.

If it's < 2024 (24th week of 2020) then it uses an iron powder core on the output choke.  If it's > 2024, it's a Sendust core and should be much quieter.

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

What's the lot code of the PSU?  Lot code is first 8 digits of the serial number.

If it's < 2024 (24th week of 2020) then it uses an iron powder core on the output choke.  If it's > 2024, it's a Sendust core and should be much quieter.

well the 4 numbers after the first 4 say 2032 also do you know if i just get a replacement of the same psu the problem will stop because when i play gta i get like 130 fps with high settings and the problem still occurs and its so annoying

4 hours ago, MrStealYoMs said:

well the 4 numbers after the first 4 say 2032 also do you know if i just get a replacement of the same psu the problem will stop because when i play gta i get like 130 fps with high settings and the problem still occurs and its so annoying

If you got a replacement, it may or may not be better.

I've tested CV650 with Pascal cards and didn't notice any unusual noise.

The output choke core was replaced due to noise from MUCH MORE POWERFUL graphics cards, like GTX 2060.

Crackling whistling coming from brand new cv650 PSU from corsair, here are my system specs: Asus ROG b450-f Mb ryzen 5 3600xt 2 tb wd green 480 GB Kingston ssd 16gb 3600mhz ram gtx 1060 3gb and 4 rgb system fans, the problem only occurs when I get 200 fps in some games and just high gpu usage in general

Crackling whistling coming from brand new cv650 PSU from corsair, here are my system specs: Asus ROG b450-f Mb ryzen 5 3600xt 2 tb wd green 480 GB Kingston ssd 16gb 3600mhz ram gtx 1060 3gb and 4 rgb system fans, the problem only occurs when I get 200 fps in some games and just high gpu usage in general

25 minutes ago, MrStealYoMs said:

Crackling whistling coming from brand new cv650 PSU

Are you waiting for flames to shoot out the back?  RMA or get a better PSU

1 minute ago, TylerDurden! said:

Are you waiting for flames to shoot out the back?  RMA or get a better PSU

Aight ;/

What I'm thinking is that it's relays clicking or the psu being overloaded. But for your setup it being overloaded is not likely. Add up the estimated power usage of your components and feel the power supply while it makes the noise. If you can feel the clicks everything is fine. Otherwise get it checked out and don't use the pc.

Just now, namedog said:

What I'm thinking is that it's relays clicking or the psu being overloaded. But for your setup it being overloaded is not likely. Add up the estimated power usage of your components and feel the power supply while it makes the noise. If you can feel the clicks everything is fine. Otherwise get it checked out and don't use the pc.

Alright do you know if I should just send it back and get a replacement? Cause I think the mail guy dropped it because when I built the pc the power lead was faulty so I had to use my old one and the box had a dent In it .

If they dropped it I'm gonna guess it was fedex lol. Just get a replacement and for the time being if you really need a pc pick a psu off of eBay and don't use the pc as much. Make sure it's being sold from someone and not one of those "brand new" ones. Those things scare everyone.

11 minutes ago, namedog said:

If they dropped it I'm gonna guess it was fedex lol. Just get a replacement and for the time being if you really need a pc pick a psu off of eBay and don't use the pc as much. Make sure it's being sold from someone and not one of those "brand new" ones. Those things scare everyone.

Alright bro and there is no ticking just loud vibration noises and when I put my hand on it, it is just vibrating so I'll send it back soon, thanks tho and I think it was FedEx lmfao 

Alright, your welcome. I hope that it's good when it comes back. Ask in the email to put a fragile label on it though (I'm trying to save your new psu)

Just now, namedog said:

Alright, your welcome. I hope that it's good when it comes back. Ask in the email to put a fragile label on it though (I'm trying to save your new psu)

Haha ight

1 hour ago, MrStealYoMs said:

Are you sure you just haven't eaten something dodgy?

😇👍

Threads merged. Do not spam the same post multiple times. The section titled Power Supplies is the appropriate place to post questions about power supplies, not General Discussion.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Sent my crackling PSU back to CCL Computers (brand new CV650 from corsair). But I need to know whether I should just get the same Psu again, my system specs: 

GTX 1060 3GB

RYZEN 5 3600XT

16 GB CORSAIR 3600MHZ  RAM

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F MB

1X2TB WD GREEN HDD

1X480GB KINGSTON SSD

4 RGB FANS that are connected via 6pin molex

I'm also pretty sure it's faulty and that the postman dropped it because it shipped with a dent in the box and a faulty power lead so I had to use old one. (Certain it's not coil whine) this time imma email to tell them to put a fragile sticker on.

Sent my crackling PSU back to CCL Computers (brand new CV650 from corsair). But I need to know whether I should just get the same Psu again,

my system specs: 

GTX 1060 3GB

RYZEN 5 3600XT

16 GB CORSAIR 3600MHZ  RAM

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F MB

1X2TB WD GREEN HDD

1X480GB KINGSTON SSD

4 RGB FANS that are connected via 6pin molex

When I sent it back tho I didn't include the cable that it came with as it was faulty so it is now in the bin, will they still accept the return?

Will I even get a replacement? 

I'm also pretty sure the reason it was faulty is because maybe the postman dropped it, it shipped with a dent in the box, a faulty power lead and ofc the power supply was damaged. (Certain it's not coil whine) this time imma email to tell them to put a fragile sticker on if they DO let me get a replacement.