Corsair HX1000, single/multiple rail for rtx3090, and looking for advice on replacement cables

j1mgg

Hi,

So after my BQ SP11 850w psu going after a year, i finally managed to get a rma refund, and find somewhere that had a decent psu at a good price (HX1000 @ £155).

I have read that it is a good idea to run in multiple rail, but am also seeing reports that the rtx 3090 kind of on the limit for running in multiple rail, is this true, which should i run?

Also, the cables that came with the psu are not the best looking. The mb cable seems pretty solid, but not that flexible, which i could live with, but the cpu ones arent the longest, and the pcie ones are weird, they seem to have an extension on them, so a 6+2, then hanging off that, another 6+2. With my GPU having 3 connectors, i have 3 of these cables just dangling. It works, which is better than it has for the past 10 days, but it looks awful. What cables are of decent quality, without costing an arm and a leg?

AX1000, ryzen 3700x, rtx3090 msi gaming trio x oc, tomahawk x570

Thanks, and let ne know if any other info will help.

jim

Leave the HX1000 in multirail mode. If there are issues with the card switch to single rail.

22 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

AX1000, ryzen 3700x, rtx3090 msi gaming trio x oc, tomahawk x570

Your title says HX1000, but this says AX1000. The Corsair AX1000 80+ Titanium does not have a multirail mode so I'm assuming you're asking about the Corsair HX1000 Platinum.

24 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

Also, the cables that came with the psu are not the best looking. The mb cable seems pretty solid, but not that flexible, which i could live with, but the cpu ones arent the longest, and the pcie ones are weird, they seem to have an extension on them, so a 6+2, then hanging off that, another 6+2. With my GPU having 3 connectors, i have 3 of these cables just dangling. It works, which is better than it has for the past 10 days, but it looks awful. What cables are of decent quality, without costing an arm and a leg?

You can look at getting replacement cables (not extension cables). Needs to be compatible with "Corsair Type 4" or "Corsair Type 3" (the PCIe cables are interchangeable between Type 3/Type 4. See Corsair's Cable Compatibility Chart.)

These are going to be the cheapest option. $4 per cable + shipping from Corsair. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-3-Flat-Black-Ribbon-Cable-PCIe-6%2B2-pin%2C-single-connector%2C-Compatible-with-all-type-3-pin-out-PSU/p/CP-8920130

These if you want the sleeved style of the other cables, though they're not in stock on Corsair's store so I don't know where else you could get them from. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-3-Sleeved-Black-PCIe-Cable/p/CP-8920111

They also have some individually sleeved coloured cables for $25-$30 each, but that would get expensive quick. You could also look at 3rd party options for custom cables, just make sure they're compatible with your specific PSU. Different brands and different models within the same brand can use different cables.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450