Need help upgrading pc

johnSPA12

I bought a prebuilt pc about 1 year ago and im now looking to upgrade. I have an rtx 2070 which i dont really think needs upgrading. For a cpu, i plan to buy the amd ryzen 5 5600x because apparently its very good for its price. I also got a case that fits ATX motherboards. Dont need a new psu since both my current cpu and the 5600x need the same amount of power and i dont really plan on overclocking. I am lost at what motherboard to get. i was thinking about getting the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F GAMING motherboard but idk if there are any better options there. If someone could help me with the motherboard and ram that would be great. Its gonna be my first build so i would appreciate any help. 

13 minutes ago, johnSPA12 said:

I am lost at what motherboard to get. i was thinking about getting the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F GAMING motherboard but idk if there are any better options there. If someone could help me with the motherboard and ram that would be great.

While I do not know enough to help you It might be helpful if you provide more information on what you already have and what you are trying to do. For instance your current motherboard could just need an update to work with the new CPU and you may have plenty of RAM.

1 minute ago, Reed Green said:

While I do not know enough to help you It might be helpful if you provide more information on what you already have and what you are trying to do. For instance your current motherboard could just need an update to work with the new CPU and you may have plenty of RAM.

i need a new motherboard because it only supports up to 2666mhz ram, and from what i know amd cpus need quite a bit of ram

Hard to say without any context of what hardware you have at all, if your power supply will even actually work with conventional parts or if it's some proprietary thing, fitting standard ATX boards in the case is a good sign though. It's even harder to make a recommendation for hardware without knowing the games or workloads you're trying to do with your computer.

Just grab a 3600mhz CL16 kit of memory for it, Crucial Ballistix and G.Skill Ripjaws are good choices, as far as RGB stuff you're sacrificing cost or performance for aesthetics which without knowing if aesthetics is important to you makes it harder as well since it could just be going into a windowless prebuilt or something that is in a case with glass on 4 sides. Can't recommend 2x8gb vs 2x16gb though, Ryzen 5000 benefits from running all 4 dimms but if you do things that in a few years might see you want more than 32gb I can't recommend 4x8gb or something with the option to expand or not.

But if you just wanna buy hardware, yeah the parts you are looking at are perfectly fine parts.