lost in cyberspace; router help

adjacentfiber

looking to replace my current router (tp-link ac750 model: archer c2) with something with a bit more range and power.

I live in a house where some of the inner walls and floors are concrete the house is 90' by 25' with a basement and the router is in the center upper floor.

Bit out of my league here, suggestions are welcome, would consider mesh.

6 hours ago, adjacentfiber said:

nner walls and floors are concrete

WiFi is not made to go thru concrete. So you might want to consider a mesh solution or running Ethernet, which is the best solution. 

6 hours ago, adjacentfiber said:

power.

Transmit power is controlled by.... The Government. So, Id assume most decent routers are probably up near the max. Smallnetbuilder.com is a great place to look for stats, but your not going to find info on range as that differs house to house. 

I personally have the Synology RT2600 AC and it works great and gives me good range. BUT I live in Murica where we build houses mostly out of wood and drywall. 5Ghz which is where the speed and performance on WiFi is, will probably not be able to penetrate the concrete. 2.4 Ghz is built for penetration and range but is going to be much slower. Most Mesh systems use a dedicated 5Ghz radio to talk between the main unit and satellites. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I agree with Donut417, your best bet is to have Ethernet running to devices and 2.4 GHz APs. perhaps a high gain antenna will help?

@adjacentfiber

Please sketch a diagram of your house’s floor plan outlining where your current router is, where you get a good WiFi signal and where you don’t.

Unfortunately, the solution to improving poor WiFi coverage is not to replace it with another wireless router/AP with hopes that the antennae will be more powerful. Most wireless routers are already operating at optimum power output under your country’s regulations.

Now, various optimizations might change with different generations of WiFi that allow for a better experience, but the solution to your problem is to use multiple wireless access points on each floor. By doing this, you can lower the power output at each station, free up wireless radios so clients don’t overload a single one, and you get better coverage in the areas that you need. WiFi signals travel best in the horizontal direction radiating like a doughnut pattern from the antenna; signal propagation in the vertical plane is poor, so hoping that your wireless router can reach all the way in the basement from a second floor is wishful thinking.