Formatting Help

BenGill

I'm trying to format an nvme drive that was already in my system to move windows onto it. I've tried through disk manager, cmd and third party apps; they all give me this error "Format is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile,
crashdump or hibernation volume".

To my knowledge there are no system files on it as it isnt the boot drive and ive only had games installed on it. Can anyone help me with this please?

Does the drive contain a Recovery or EFI System partition? If so, you'll likely have to format the drive using GParted on a live install of Ubuntu.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Have you tried formatting it via the Installation media when you get to the point of choosing the disk?

That error means the current installation has required files on the drive you're trying to format, which prevents it from being erased. It's the reason it's generally best to remove all other drives when installing the OS as it can often put recovery or system files on other available drives rather than keeping it on one. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Have you tried formatting it via the Installation media when you get to the point of choosing the disk?

That error means the current installation has required files on the drive you're trying to format, which prevents it from being erased. It's the reason it's generally best to remove all other drives when installing the OS as it can often put recovery or system files on other available drives rather than keeping it on one. 

I'm trying to clone the drive that has windows installed onto this drive so im not doing a fresh install

2 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Does the drive contain a Recovery or EFI System partition? If so, you'll likely have to format the drive using GParted on a live install of Ubuntu.

The drive only has 1 partition, doesnt have these

3 minutes ago, BenGill said:

I'm trying to clone the drive that has windows installed onto this drive so im not doing a fresh install

The drive you're trying to format has required system files, so I'd expect cloning to it to fail as it would involve removing said required files. 

That said, you can still use a Windows 10 installation media to format it as it's only preventing you from doing so because it's attempting to erase required Windows files from within Windows. If you do though, you could bork the Windows installation. 

I'd advise a clean install