Risks of using a screw to fasten a M.2 drive that didn't come with the motherboard?

FreeMarket
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

No real risk. If the screw has a different thread, you might damage it. If it is too long, it might now hold the drive in place properly. So as long as the screw has the correct thread and isn't too long everything should be fine.

Hi, I have lost the screw and heat shield (the MSI one) that came with my motherboard for a M.2 drive. It's been two years and I didn't expect to ever buy one a M.2 drive, so I must have stashed the screw somewhere, a place I've since forgotten. I found one with similar proportions to actual M.2 screws (2x3mm), but I was wondering if this could result in the system or drive being damaged (it shorting or something). Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just tend to get paranoid about this kind of stuff.

No real risk. If the screw has a different thread, you might damage it. If it is too long, it might now hold the drive in place properly. So as long as the screw has the correct thread and isn't too long everything should be fine.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

No risk. Just make sure that the screw is the same proportions and you're good.

PC: Acer Predator Helios 300: corei7-7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 2400MHz, 128GB SSD+1024GB HDD, Logitech G102 Prodigy+Circle Gaming Pro.

27 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

And you would feel it, if it was the wrong thread. Just don't force it in.