Asking for Opinions Regarding My Build Plan

Budget (including currency): around USD $4,000 / IDR Rp.57,000,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3D animation, simulation, rendering (Maya, Houdini) and maybe games (Cyberpunk or something, I don’t really games actually)

Other details 

Hello!.. I am an animation student and I was planning for upgrading from a laptop to desktop. Currently I have a laptop MSi GS63VR. it has i7-7700HQ, 32RAM, GTX 1060, and 1,5 TB of storage (500nvme + 1TB SATA). The reason I was upgrading is because my laptop always crazy hot when I’m rendering my project. Sometimes it took 2 days for rendering a minute of my animation.

anyway here’s the list of part i was planning for upgrade.

ProcessorRyzen 9 5650X

Motherboard: Asus Strix B550-E (actually i want Gigabyte Vision D because it look prettier, but it doesn’t have front USB C headers(?) )

RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB 3200C16 *Times 2 = 4 stick 64GB in total* 

Graphic: Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC

Storage: Corsair MP600 500GB + 1TB Samsung SSD SATA from my laptop and 1TB HDD from my old desktop

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT or H100i RGB Platinum

Case: Corsair 4000x iCUE + SP120 RGB fans for exhaust

PSU: Corsair HX 850W

Monitor: Asus ProArt PA278QV

Is this setup good enough? Or is there any better parts?

Some questions:

1. Does populating all the four RAM slot effecting the performance? I’ve heard that Ryzen only have two RAM channel support.

2. Should i choose 240mm or 280mm Cooler? Is there any significant difference in performance between these two coolers? If I choose 280 I need to change the RAM to LPX ver non RGB because of clearance issue. Or should I go to air coolers instead?

3. Does RGB really increase 20% of performance? LOL :D

I hope  you guys can help me decide for better build.

-thanks- 

* sorry for bad English lol

7 minutes ago, Radh said:

Ryzen 9 5650X

You mean 5950x or 5600?

Build looks ok

8 minutes ago, Radh said:

Does populating all the four RAM slot effecting the performance? I’ve heard that Ryzen only have two RAM channel support.

It'll work

Populating all 4 slot will run the RAM in dual or quad rank, depending on your RAM type

Higher rank may require lower frequency, but if you need the capacity it's definitely worth dropping some frequency

10 minutes ago, Radh said:

Should i choose 240mm or 280mm Cooler? Is there any significant difference in performance between these two coolers? If I choose 280 I need to change the RAM to LPX ver non RGB because of clearance issue. Or should I go to air coolers instead?

If you want reliability, maybe consider air-coolers?

10 minutes ago, Radh said:

Does RGB really increase 20% of performance? LOL :D

No, of course not, don't be silly

It's more like 40% nowadays, true story

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It might be worth getting a Threadripper 3970x over the Ryzen 9 5950x. Not as fast on single core, but it literally has twice as many cores/threads. 

18 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

You mean 5950x or 5600?

Build looks ok

It'll work

Populating all 4 slot will run the RAM in dual or quad rank, depending on your RAM type

Higher rank may require lower frequency, but if you need the capacity it's definitely worth dropping some frequency

If you want reliability, maybe consider air-coolers?

No, of course not, don't be silly

It's more like 40% nowadays, true story

I mean 5950x. Lol sorry

Yeah I’m still confused... I was considering for Noctua D15 chromax but i think it too big and feel “un tidy” for the build. And they didn’t sell chromax version of the U12 series.
The be quiet! version doesn’t perform as good as Noctua and it’s really hard to install (from a video that i watch on YT)

also I’m afraid it will bend the motherboard because it’s too heavy. That’s why I pick AIO one...

28 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It might be worth getting a Threadripper 3970x over the Ryzen 9 5950x. Not as fast on single core, but it literally has twice as many cores/threads. 

Lol.. Threadripper cost beyond my budget...

4 minutes ago, Radh said:

I mean 5950x. Lol sorry

Yeah I’m still confused... I was considering for Noctua D15 chromax but i think it too big and feel “un tidy” for the build. And they didn’t sell chromax version of the U12 series.
The be quiet! version doesn’t perform as good as Noctua and it’s really hard to install (from a video that i watch on YT)

also I’m afraid it will bend the motherboard because it’s too heavy. That’s why I pick AIO one...

The performance difference is really negligible, within 5c diff is fine

As for bending motherboard, it's not really an issue unless you're using a cheap and thin motherboard, which you aren't lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

The performance difference is really negligible, within 5c diff is fine

As for bending motherboard, it's not really an issue unless you're using a cheap and thin motherboard, which you aren't lol

Ah alright.. noted...

I’ll go some research again

Thank you so much!

22 minutes ago, Radh said:

Lol.. Threadripper cost beyond my budget...

Considering the Ryzen 9 5950x is $1500 and the Threadripper 3970x is $2000 but is almost twice the CPU, I figured it was worth considering. 

5 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Considering the Ryzen 9 5950x is $1500 and the Threadripper 3970x is $2000 but is almost twice the CPU, I figured it was worth considering. 

Well the Ryzen 9 only cost USD $932 / IDR Rp.13,199,000 here. But then I checked the stock in my local marketplace, they’re didn’t have any. Instead they have the 3970x in stock!

If I bought the 3970x, the total of the build is USD $5258 / IDR Rp.74,434,000. Do you think it’s a great investment? Maybe if I sell my current laptop I could make it...

I feel like Threadripper too overkill for a student even most of the Motion Graphics artist that I adore only use Ryzen 9 3xxx in their system. 

1 hour ago, Radh said:

I only suggested threadripper because it's somewhat close in price to the Ryzen 9 5950x that you were considering. It may be a lot more expensive in Indonesia though, it's about $2000 in the US, give or take a little