[Caution] Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II not compatible with ASUS X570-E Gaming!

RejZoR

Just a word of caution for anyone considering this combo. I have the Rev3 version of Liquid Freezer 240 and I had massive issues mounting it on my ASUS X570-E Gaming. First of all, the box doesn't even come with ANY manuals. You're expected to view it on a tiny phone's screen while building a PC and catch all the silly specifics like which holes to use and which bracket to use where.

Top bracket for AM4 without the bulge just cleared the capacitors closest to the socket and I'm still not sure if the top bracket is pressing against them or not. It's literally that close and goes over the capacitors.

Bottom bracket, the one with a bit of a bulge literally hits the top M.2 (the one above top most PCIe slot). I'm using SATA drive so I just removed the heatsink entirely, but if I'll ever want to use M.2 drive in top slot, I'll have to sand the damn bulge off on the bracket in order to be able to place back the original X570-E heatsink for that M.2 slot.

I know I picked the AiO with largest block because of the extra fan it has, but I really wasn't expecting mounting brackets to interfere with the motherboard (block is actually way smaller). Liquid Freezer II is a great performer and at good price, but if you have a fancy cluttered board with lots of "covers" all over the place, consider something else, especially if you don't know how to cut or sand things.

Hopefully Arctic Cooling will make the "bulge" on the bottom bracket smaller in Rev4 coz I don't think it's needed for any kind of structural integrity or strength of the mounting bracket.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Just a word of caution for anyone considering this combo. I have the Rev3 version of Liquid Freezer 240 and I had massive issues mounting it on my ASUS X570-E Gaming. First of all, the box doesn't even come with ANY manuals. You're expected to view it on a tiny phone's screen while building a PC and catch all the silly specifics like which holes to use and which bracket to use where.

Top bracket for AM4 without the bulge just cleared the capacitors closest to the socket and I'm still not sure if the top bracket is pressing against them or not. It's literally that close and goes over the capacitors.

Bottom bracket, the one with a bit of a bulge literally hits the top M.2 (the one above top most PCIe slot). I'm using SATA drive so I just removed the heatsink entirely, but if I'll ever want to use M.2 drive in top slot, I'll have to sand the damn bulge off on the bracket in order to be able to place back the original X570-E heatsink for that M.2 slot.

I know I picked the AiO with largest block because of the extra fan it has, but I really wasn't expecting mounting brackets to interfere with the motherboard (block is actually way smaller). Liquid Freezer II is a great performer and at good price, but if you have a fancy cluttered board with lots of "covers" all over the place, consider something else, especially if you don't know how to cut or sand things.

Hopefully Arctic Cooling will make the "bulge" on the bottom bracket smaller in Rev4 coz I don't think it's needed for any kind of structural integrity or strength of the mounting bracket.

Got any pictures of this? Kind of curious as I built some PC's with the 240 before.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I think you can ask arctic for a rev2 mounting hardware and they ship it for free. It should work for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the same issue, doesn't fit on the Asus ROG STRIX x570-E Gaming motherboard. Will have to send it back sadly

5 hours ago, SimiGi said:

Got the same issue, doesn't fit on the Asus ROG STRIX x570-E Gaming motherboard. Will have to send it back sadly

You can mount it if you remove the top M.2 heatsink. Or if you're brave, sand/shave off the cooler's mounting bracket that's interfering with the M.2 cooler. It should take few millimeters to create clearance, but shouldn't compromise mounting bracket structural integrity. I'll probably do that eventually, but I just removed M.2 heatsink now because I don't have M.2 drive installed and I want to be sure things are working and I won't need warranty just yet. It's a stupid design flaw of the cooler and I really don't think brackets should be as wide as they are. In fact whole mounting system of Liquid Freezer is just so weird. I've had 3 AiO's so far and this one is by far the weirdest and worst. Had Enermax AiO and CoolerMaster AiO and both used spring loaded screws to apply tension. This one just uses bracket bending to create pressure. And it's just so unnecessarily wide as a result.

Those motherboard m.2 heatshields are usually complete unneeded anyways.

17 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Those motherboard m.2 heatshields are usually complete unneeded anyways.

It does look better with it tho. And some M.2 drives do throttle if not cooled properly. At least on the controller side. NAND chips usually aren't a problem as they like being warm, but then again heatsink will keep them evenly warm by taking heat from controller and spreading it across heatsink.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

It does look better with it tho. And some M.2 drives do throttle if not cooled properly. At least on the controller side. NAND chips usually aren't a problem as they like being warm, but then again heatsink will keep them evenly warm by taking heat from controller and spreading it across heatsink.

Some site tested those a while back and most worked better without ornaments. Consumer market nvme-ssd:s usually ship with the cooling needed.

And Im not saying its not stupid to sell coolers that clearly have not been tested with new motherboards.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

You can mount it if you remove the top M.2 heatsink. Or if you're brave, sand/shave off the cooler's mounting bracket that's interfering with the M.2 cooler. It should take few millimeters to create clearance, but shouldn't compromise mounting bracket structural integrity. I'll probably do that eventually, but I just removed M.2 heatsink now because I don't have M.2 drive installed and I want to be sure things are working and I won't need warranty just yet. It's a stupid design flaw of the cooler and I really don't think brackets should be as wide as they are. In fact whole mounting system of Liquid Freezer is just so weird. I've had 3 AiO's so far and this one is by far the weirdest and worst. Had Enermax AiO and CoolerMaster AiO and both used spring loaded screws to apply tension. This one just uses bracket bending to create pressure. And it's just so unnecessarily wide as a result.

It might does work with removing the M.2 heatsink but since I'm using the M.2 slots, I really don't want to do it. The bigger issue is the one with the capacitors, the backplate mounting screws are too low and I would surely damage the capacitors if I screw down the CPU Block. But it seems to me that only the Asus x570 series have these issues with this AIO. As well, I don't think that it is because "it is a new mainboard", since I think its around for quite some time now.

9 hours ago, SimiGi said:

This is a known issue that Arctic is aware of. They just responded today

1 hour ago, SimiGi said:

It might does work with removing the M.2 heatsink but since I'm using the M.2 slots, I really don't want to do it. The bigger issue is the one with the capacitors, the backplate mounting screws are too low and I would surely damage the capacitors if I screw down the CPU Block. But it seems to me that only the Asus x570 series have these issues with this AIO. As well, I don't think that it is because "it is a new mainboard", since I think its around for quite some time now.

That mounting plate overlapping VRM capacitor just clears it by a micrometer. Depending on capacitor mounting tolerances. I was sweating a bit as I was mounting it tho... I do like the block fan it has, but the way they oversized the whole mounting kit is a bit ridiculous. It could still have the fan and not be this bulky if they just used spring loaded screws instead imo. And just have a direct mounting of CPU plate on socket holes instead of this weird 2 layer scaffolding nonsense they have now...

36 minutes ago, bluefrisky said:

This is a known issue that Arctic is aware of. They just responded today

Could you post the reference to their statement? Would be interesting to know.

16 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That mounting plate overlapping VRM capacitor just clears it by a micrometer. Depending on capacitor mounting tolerances. I was sweating a bit as I was mounting it tho... I do like the block fan it has, but the way they oversized the whole mounting kit is a bit ridiculous. It could still have the fan and not be this bulky if they just used spring loaded screws instead imo. And just have a direct mounting of CPU plate on socket holes instead of this weird 2 layer scaffolding nonsense they have now...

That‘s really close and I wouldn‘t risk my 300$ mainboard for a 90$ cooler but I‘m glad it worked for you.

Since you have almost the same specs as I do (Ryzen 5800x and Asus Rog x570-E) what are your temps? Did you also previously test these components with another cooler? 

My Ryzen is freaking hot and would easily reach 90*C during benchmarks or gaming cold war. That‘s why I wanted to try out another cooler.

Guys is there any huge differences between Rev2.0 and Rev3.0 ?? Because just recently the Rev3.0 has arrived in my country. 
But with a massive price hike ! At a whopping 30$ more, it may be little for US but in my currency it's much as 100$....
Since the new mounting was meant to be easier but seems like it's worst...should I just go with Rev2.0 ?? 

46 minutes ago, SimiGi said:

That‘s really close and I wouldn‘t risk my 300$ mainboard for a 90$ cooler but I‘m glad it worked for you.

Since you have almost the same specs as I do (Ryzen 5800x and Asus Rog x570-E) what are your temps? Did you also previously test these components with another cooler? 

My Ryzen is freaking hot and would easily reach 90*C during benchmarks or gaming cold war. That‘s why I wanted to try out another cooler.

Mine never goes past 83°C and I have it set to 5GHz AutoOC (150MHz PBO offset without PBO enabled). I'm using Kryonaut thermal paste and SilentWings 3 fans with custom fan curve from motherboard and not the AiO coz stock ones while providing good airflow have horrendous acoustics when they get in sync and just start resonating horribly at certain RPM (usually max RPM).

One of things people often do with Ryzen 5000 models is setting negative voltage offset on VCORE. Somewhere between 0.025 and 0.075V should work without any drop in performance.

I just notice, it seems like the new bracket is optional and it's just an extra bracket to make mounting easier. 
If I were not to use the new bracket, I'm still able to mount it like the Rev2.0 no ? 

32 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Mine never goes past 83°C and I have it set to 5GHz AutoOC (150MHz PBO offset without PBO enabled). I'm using Kryonaut thermal paste and SilentWings 3 fans with custom fan curve from motherboard and not the AiO coz stock ones while providing good airflow have horrendous acoustics when they get in sync and just start resonating horribly at certain RPM (usually max RPM).

One of things people often do with Ryzen 5000 models is setting negative voltage offset on VCORE. Somewhere between 0.025 and 0.075V should work without any drop in performance.

Thanks for the insights. I also use Kryonaut and tried a Corsair 115i 280 AiO and always reached 90+ *C on stock settings during cinebench R23. Lots of undervolting helped the temperatures but also badly affected the performance. Do you think that's normal? I mean, I know the 5000x are generally pretty hot cpus but that just seems not alright imo.

2 hours ago, SimiGi said:

I know the 5000x are generally pretty hot cpus but that just seems not alright imo.

they are generally not hot. 90+c seems not good mounting or dead pump. my friedn had his h115 V2 pump dead and had horrible temps like you

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

3 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

they are generally not hot. 90+c seems not good mounting or dead pump. my friedn had his h115 V2 pump dead and had horrible temps like you

Yea these pumps don't survive long but I've even tried a Fuma 2 Air cooler and had the same temperatures. There are lots of reports of 90+c temps on the 5800x e.g. 

6 hours ago, gh0st47 said:

Guys is there any huge differences between Rev2.0 and Rev3.0 ?? Because just recently the Rev3.0 has arrived in my country. 
But with a massive price hike ! At a whopping 30$ more, it may be little for US but in my currency it's much as 100$....
Since the new mounting was meant to be easier but seems like it's worst...should I just go with Rev2.0 ?? 

You can still use the rev 2 mounting hardware rev 3. From what I have heard you can request the rev 2 hardware if you get a rev 3

Get rev. 2 mounting screws from Arctic. They are sending them out for free

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Get rev. 2 mounting screws from Arctic. They are sending them out for free

I will ask them, I hope the rev 2 mountings work on an Asus Rog 570x-E 

Thx for the suggestion

8 hours ago, SimiGi said:

I will ask them, I hope the rev 2 mountings work on an Asus Rog 570x-E 

Thx for the suggestion

It does 100%. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

19 hours ago, SimiGi said:

Yea these pumps don't survive long but I've even tried a Fuma 2 Air cooler and had the same temperatures. There are lots of reports of 90+c temps on the 5800x e.g. 

I think you're one of the unlucky ones. There's no guarantee, I did hear rumor circulating. It seems like 5800X maybe plague with some sort of Temp issues. 
But maybe because due to lack of stock around the world and not many people buying the 5800X as well, so many there aren't enough cases that will attract popular media covering it.
( let's face it the price for 5800X is rather bad, I was aiming for 5800X but instead now I'm going to pay more just to get 5900X )