Will my headset pickup sound from Cherry MX Blue

Go to solution Solved by eskamobob1,

if interconnectability with your mouse software and all in one device are big bonuses for you, that kind of ends it. FWIW, the K95 isnt a bad board at all. I quite like how robust corsair stuff is too. I just personally find a much more natural workflow with a couple dedicated devices (which if you move that way would allow you to look into others in the k line that may have better stock) such as a gaming keypad + 70% keyboard.

Now back onto the topic of this forum though, if you are set on the k95 and need to get blues (they are nice switches tbf), henreys recs are the way to go. Get the mic as far from the keyboard as possible, try out RTX voice, try not typing *as* hard and if you do, maybe try o-rings, but your options past that are kind limited.

TL;DR : Iv only used MX Brown, I need a new keyboard asap and the one i like only comes with MX Blues for retailers near me, I use a headset while playing games like World of Warcraft and League of Legends. The browns never pick up on my voice activation but im scared the blue will be to load and constantly pick up on my headset while playing games, Are blue switches realy that loud and will O rings help without making the switches feel like mush? (only worried about sounds picking up on headset and beoing forced to use push to talk/o rings that make it feel mushy, no one sleeps near my room)

hey so my current keyboard (Corsair K95 with brown switches) is getting pretty old and well to be frank some keys dont work properly anymore due to accidents with water spilling on my keyboard recently. Anyways iv decided to buy the new Corsair K95 Platinum XT but i can only find these in Blue switches that are still on stock (for retailers near me) problem is i have never used blue switches and i play a lot of games like World of Warcraft and League of legends while on voice chat with friends and i hate using push to talk, i use a headset when on discord with friends so my mic wont be on my desktop next to my keyboard or anything but im still unsure if my mic will pick up the load sounds of the key stokes and annoy my friends, currently with the mx bronws im using, unless i full on mash a key as hard as i can it doesnt pick up enough sound to activate the mic (since i have voice activation set at a fairly low level) but i am worried that the mx blues will pick up on my mic to the point were i need to put voice activation up so high i will need to yell to activate the voice activation or use push to talk (which i really dont like). Does anyone else have experince with MX Blues and using headsets? i dont usually mash my keys down hard but sometimes i do without thinking while playing league of legends.

Maybe. Blues are louder than browns. O-rings will not reduce the klick of blue switches, they will just reduce the sound of your keys hitting the end stop. But this particular sound doesn't depend on the switch type and rather the construction of your keyboard, thus there shouldn't be major differences among switch types.
Just try it out and maybe you need to adjust your audio levels, get the microphone boom closer to your mouth or use something like RTX voice. If you didn't have any problems with brown switches, I would assume minor adjustments to your setup will be enough to make it work with blues.

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

Maybe. Blues are louder than browns. O-rings will not reduce the klick of blue switches, they will just reduce the sound of your keys hitting the end stop. But this particular sound doesn't depend on the switch type and rather the construction of your keyboard, thus there shouldn't be major differences among switch types.
Just try it out and maybe you need to adjust your audio levels, get the microphone boom closer to your mouth or use something like RTX voice. If you didn't have any problems with brown switches, I would assume minor adjustments to your setup will be enough to make it work with blues.

Thank you very much for the insight, iv talked to my friends and they have said that my current keyboard with brown switches is unnoticeable with they way i have discord set up currently,if i only need to adjust it slight to compensate for the extra sound of blues compared to browns then i believe there shouldnt be any problems at all. Once again thanks for the insight.

eh, I disagree with henry here slightly. I havent played with RTX voice, so that may be the ticket, but I have never used a mic setup that I felt I could accurately adjust to recognize my voice but *not* pic up blues while gaming (general typing is a different story). He is dead right that o-rings wont change the sound much though. 

Honestly, mind if I ask why you are so set on the k-95? What features do you like about it? I cant help but feel there are much better boards out there for the price even ignoring custom mechs. 

1 hour ago, eskamobob1 said:

eh, I disagree with henry here slightly. I havent played with RTX voice, so that may be the ticket, but I have never used a mic setup that I felt I could accurately adjust to recognize my voice but *not* pic up blues while gaming (general typing is a different story). He is dead right that o-rings wont change the sound much though. 

Honestly, mind if I ask why you are so set on the k-95? What features do you like about it? I cant help but feel there are much better boards out there for the price even ignoring custom mechs. 

Iv been using the older version of the k95 up until now and mostly i enjoy its clean metal looking design to it and not some cheap plastic for 90% of the keyboard, i generally use the extra function keys on left side for WoW and macros on other games, the media control on the right side of the keyboard is now a must have for me after using the k95 for so long and i can have its RGB Sync up with my Corsair Mouse, Oh and the extra RGB of the K95 Platinum XT are a big bonus for me (how the outside of the board lights up), there might be a few small reason i missed but they are all the main ones i can think of.

if interconnectability with your mouse software and all in one device are big bonuses for you, that kind of ends it. FWIW, the K95 isnt a bad board at all. I quite like how robust corsair stuff is too. I just personally find a much more natural workflow with a couple dedicated devices (which if you move that way would allow you to look into others in the k line that may have better stock) such as a gaming keypad + 70% keyboard.

Now back onto the topic of this forum though, if you are set on the k95 and need to get blues (they are nice switches tbf), henreys recs are the way to go. Get the mic as far from the keyboard as possible, try out RTX voice, try not typing *as* hard and if you do, maybe try o-rings, but your options past that are kind limited.

On 12/12/2020 at 9:40 AM, eskamobob1 said:

Thanks for all the advice, i ended up getting the blue switches with the K95 Platinum XT and i actually find the click of it when typing to be satisfying (besides space bar the stabiliser in that sounds horrible but ill get use to it) it seems like with my current mic setup the sound of the switches dont activate my mic, but while talking you can hear it in the background, one of my discord buddies said it was slightly louder then my browns i was previously using but its so minuscule that he wouldn't of noticed unless i told him. Overall im happy with the switches but i may still look into a desk mat just in case.

On 12/13/2020 at 6:52 PM, redman12 said:

Thanks for all the advice, i ended up getting the blue switches with the K95 Platinum XT and i actually find the click of it when typing to be satisfying (besides space bar the stabiliser in that sounds horrible but ill get use to it) it seems like with my current mic setup the sound of the switches dont activate my mic, but while talking you can hear it in the background, one of my discord buddies said it was slightly louder then my browns i was previously using but its so minuscule that he wouldn't of noticed unless i told him. Overall im happy with the switches but i may still look into a desk mat just in case.

Glad to hear you are happy with it! The k95 is a reap solid board and blues are damn nice if you can get use to the downsides