HDD will not show up in boot menu! Help!

Before anyone says, it, I know, don't use a HDD to boot. I am helping my friend to build a rig and he had an old PC that he used for a bit with windows already on it. Plus, it has all of the games and stuff he uses. He is going to swtich over to the 970 EVO he has after he moves windows over to it. Now onto the question:

The HDD will not show up on the boot menu at all. But in the BIOS, it says that the NVMe 970 EVO+the 2TB HDD are there, but he can't boot off either. We have checks the connections from the PSU, mobo and the HDD itself. Any idea what to do? Any help is much appreciated!

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Does it show up in windows?

It shouldn't matter if its in the boot menu since its not a boot drive.

Its likely not in the boot menu as its not a uefi device.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does it show up in windows?

It shouldn't matter if its in the boot menu since its not a boot drive.

Its likely not in the boot menu as its not a uefi device.

He can't even get into windows because it does not show up as a boot drive.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

10 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

He can't even get into windows because it does not show up as a boot drive.

Just boot from the 970 evo then. SInce the hdd isn't the boot drive there should be a os install on anouther drive.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just boot from the 970 evo then. SInce the hdd isn't the boot drive there should be a os install on anouther drive.

But it is a new build, the only part from the old build is the HDD, and that has windows on it. So he cant boot into windows at all. Nothing is showing up on the boot menu, and he cant boot into windows because nothing shows up on the boot menu.

5 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

But it is a new build, the only part from the old build is the HDD, and that has windows on it. So he cant boot into windows at all. Nothing is showing up on the boot menu, and he cant boot into windows because nothing shows up on the boot menu.

The Hard Drive is likely formatted with a MBR partition table and since you are booting into a UEFI board, you either have to enable compatibility mode or use another computer to transfer the files. 

Why Are We Still Here? Just to Suffer?

1 minute ago, Logarithm220 said:

The Hard Drive is likely formatted with a MBR partition table and since you are booting into a UEFI board, you either have to enable compatibility mode or use another computer to transfer the files. 

So how would this work? I would I enable compatibility mode? Thank you so much for your help!

1 minute ago, jsugarman2005 said:

So how would this work? I would I enable compatibility mode? Thank you so much for your help!

It is different for each motherboard, but look for a setting like UEFI-CSM or Compatibility mode in your UEFI settings. Most likely under chipset or processor. Once you have enabled it, reboot and select the drive you wish to boot into.

Why Are We Still Here? Just to Suffer?

30 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

then you want to do a fresh install of windows of the 970 ssd. Then you can access the files from the hdd. You dont' want to boot from the hdd here.