PC wont boot after new M.2 NVMe install

JustinHunter
Go to solution Solved by JustinHunter,
4 hours ago, Asez23 said:

oof. tough luck. did you try booting with only the NVMe?

Okay, it was pretty simple and expected in the end. I just had to update my BIOS to the latest version and everything worked normally. I appreciate the help, have a nice day!

Just got the SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe from Western Digital today, I installed it in my B450 Gaming Plus mobo but now my PC wont boot. I can't even get into BIOS once it first starts up, and there is a red light on the VGA on the EZ debug light on my mobo as well. I have 1 SATA SSD plugged into the SATA 1 slot and a HDD plugged into my SATA 3 slot. Does anyone know why this is happening? My thinking now is to update my BIOS because that's the only thing I can think of, maybe it's not detecting it at all. Thanks for the help in advance. 

Sorry, heres my full specs:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xkPbLP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (Purchased For $166.24) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.36 @ iSanek) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $114.43) 
Memory: Team Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $91.33) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $83.99) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($86.47 @ iSanek) 
Storage: Toshiba 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: Gigabyte Gaming RX 570 4GB
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 750 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $84.00) 
Case Fan: Corsair AF120 52.19 CFM 120 mm Fan  (Purchased For $5.00) 
Case Fan: Corsair AF140 66.4 CFM 140 mm Fan  (Purchased For $5.00) 
Total: $685.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-08 23:19 EST-0500

list full specs. do you have a graphics card? if you do not have one, and your CPU does not have any integrated graphics, it will not boot.

3 minutes ago, Asez23 said:

list full specs. do you have a graphics card? if you do not have one, and your CPU does not have any integrated graphics, it will not boot.

Sorry, forgot about that, just updated it now.

10 minutes ago, JustinHunter said:

Just got the SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe from Western Digital today, I installed it in my B450 Gaming Plus mobo but now my PC wont boot. I can't even get into BIOS once it first starts up, and there is a red light on the VGA on the EZ debug light on my mobo as well. I have 1 SATA SSD plugged into the SATA 1 slot and a HDD plugged into my SATA 3 slot. Does anyone know why this is happening? My thinking now is to update my BIOS because that's the only thing I can think of, maybe it's not detecting it at all. Thanks for the help in advance. 

Sorry, heres my full specs:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xkPbLP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (Purchased For $166.24) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.36 @ iSanek) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $114.43) 
Memory: Team Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $91.33) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $83.99) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($86.47 @ iSanek) 
Storage: Toshiba 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: Gigabyte Gaming RX 570 4GB
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 750 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $84.00) 
Total: $685.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-08 23:19 EST-0500

a VGA error is referring to the graphics. Is your card porperly seated? are the PCIe power cables connected?

4 minutes ago, Asez23 said:

a VGA error is referring to the graphics. Is your card porperly seated? are the PCIe power cables connected?

Yes it is, I even tried taking removing the NVMe and tried booting up normally and it worked fine.

hmmm... so the NVME is messing up the graphics card for some reason. could you try just letting it run after powering it on with the NVME inside for a while? the ez debug lights sometimes change after a while on my z390 gaming plus.

18 minutes ago, JustinHunter said:

Yes it is, I even tried taking removing the NVMe and tried booting up normally and it worked fine.

are you sure the card is not dead? try it with another system if possible.

2 minutes ago, Asez23 said:

hmmm... so the NVME is messing up the graphics card for some reason. could you try just letting it run after powering it on with the NVME inside for a while? the ez debug lights sometimes change after a while on my z390 gaming plus.

I will try this now, and report back. I'm fairly certain my GPU is not dead otherwise it wouldn't display anything at all without the NVMe. 

1 minute ago, JustinHunter said:

I will try this now, and report back. I'm fairly certain my GPU is not dead otherwise it wouldn't display anything at all without the NVMe. 

lol i forgot about that. good luck 

2 hours ago, Asez23 said:

lol i forgot about that. good luck 

Sadly no luck. After 10-15 minutes still nothing, I disconnected both my drives (SSD and HDD) and plugged in a USB with a Windows installation in it.

11 hours ago, JustinHunter said:

Sadly no luck. After 10-15 minutes still nothing, I disconnected both my drives (SSD and HDD) and plugged in a USB with a Windows installation in it.

14 hours ago, JustinHunter said:

where did you get a 120mm red led and 140mm red led corsair fan for a total of $10 CAD? seems like a hell of a deal

48 minutes ago, Asez23 said:

where did you get a 120mm red led and 140mm red led corsair fan for a total of $10 CAD? seems like a hell of a deal

My friend sold his used case (Phanteks P300) and the fans for $60 combined. All good condition and was pretty lucky honestly. I'll try booting from NVMe only and I'll see if it works. If not I think my last resort is to update my BIOS.

4 hours ago, Asez23 said:

Okay, it was pretty simple and expected in the end. I just had to update my BIOS to the latest version and everything worked normally. I appreciate the help, have a nice day!

17 hours ago, JustinHunter said:

haha lol nice