Server For...

Mind_001

I am not a network guy. I do build computers, but in setting up networks and extra fiasco isn't my forte. Basics of setting up PfSense, I can do, but to further configure it, I'm scratching my head.

I have 2 motherboards/CPU/RAM. These are server grade boards. I received both from a friend.

1. SuperMicro X7SBL-LN2, LGA 775/Socket T, Intel C2D E2140 (I do have a X3330 laying around that I might use), and 4GB DDR2 800 non-ECC (tried putting EEC RAM in, but won't post)

2. SuperMicro X8ST3-F LGA1366/Socket B, Xeon W3520, 12GB DDR3 RAM ECC

Now then, what can I do with these, in a home setting? I always wanted to make my own NAS. But the problem with the first one, I don't have enough RAM if I wanted to go ZFS. Set up a surveillance server? Minecraft server? F@H server? Give me ideas.

I do have a Pi4 that I can install PiHole on...

If I left out something, ASK!

1 hour ago, Mind_001 said:

I am not a network guy. I do build computers, but in setting up networks and extra fiasco isn't my forte. Basics of setting up PfSense, I can do, but to further configure it, I'm scratching my head.

I have 2 motherboards/CPU/RAM. These are server grade boards. I received both from a friend.

1. SuperMicro X7SBL-LN2, LGA 775/Socket T, Intel C2D E2140 (I do have a X3330 laying around that I might use), and 4GB DDR2 800 non-ECC (tried putting EEC RAM in, but won't post)

2. SuperMicro X8ST3-F LGA1366/Socket B, Xeon W3520, 12GB DDR3 RAM ECC

Now then, what can I do with these, in a home setting? I always wanted to make my own NAS. But the problem with the first one, I don't have enough RAM if I wanted to go ZFS. Set up a surveillance server? Minecraft server? F@H server? Give me ideas.

I do have a Pi4 that I can install PiHole on...

If I left out something, ASK!

You could just do a linux server or even desktop and do shared folders FTP or SMB, I think a raid would do better than ZFS especially with dedicated hardware for a home setting used is fine in that, I don't have any practical experience with ZFS

2 hours ago, cole0622 said:

raid would do better than ZFS especially with dedicated hardware for a home setting used is fine in that, I don't have any practical experience with ZFS

ZFS has more flexibility from what I have seen. RAID is on its way out. ZFS is much better than raid, at least from what I have read. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

ZFS has more flexibility from what I have seen. RAID is on its way out. ZFS is much better than raid, at least from what I have read. 

That's what I heard, too...

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Interesting I might try it, to me it seems like an overly complicated and redundant raid, is it hardware based?

2 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

Interesting I might try it, to me it seems like an overly complicated and redundant raid, is it hardware based?

Its software based. One of the big benefits I have seen is you can add drives as you want. With RAID, you cant just add drives to the array. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Its software based. One of the big benefits I have seen is you can add drives as you want. With RAID, you cant just add drives to the array. 

I believe you can, I would try, but A. I'm maxed on how many drives i can psychically put into the server and B. It's part of my network. Also the software is a huge negative for me I need lots of cpu. also most sata controllers can only handle one disk at a time if I'm not mistaken. @Mind_001 for ideas, you can do an active directory, DNS, perhaps something similar to windows deployment, an rdp or similar type of server.

Just now, cole0622 said:

I believe you can, I would try, but A. I'm maxed on how many drives i can psychically put into the server and B. It's part of my network. Also the software is a huge negative for me I need lots of cpu. also most sata controllers can only handle one disk at a time if I'm not mistaken. @Mind_001 for ideas, you can do an active directory, DNS, perhaps something similar to windows deployment, an rdp or similar type of server.

Check out some of Linus's server content. I know for a fact they use ZFS on the LMG servers. Like I said, RAID is falling out of favor. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Check out some of Linus's server content. I know for a fact they use ZFS on the LMG servers. Like I said, RAID is falling out of favor. 

Do you have the video handy? Though I'm only running an 8 thread cpu it can sit at 100% for 4-8 hrs at a time so software is far out for me

16 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

Do you have the video handy? Though I'm only running an 8 thread cpu it can sit at 100% for 4-8 hrs at a time so software is far out for me

I think he explains a bit in Petabyte project. 

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I think he explains a bit in Petabyte project. 

so I watched it where he talks about it zfs manages hardware failure, then gluster handles scaling