Is it possible to open a 7z file with winrar or winzip?

osnuf161

Today I got feedback from my html/css assignment from school.

My teacher said that he could not open a 7z file and that it had to be a zip file and therefore I got an F.

To this day I never had any one of my teachers complain about the zip format I use.

So my question is, is that what he said really true? Is it not possible to unpack a 7z file without 7zip.

Because I could have sworn that I used 7z to unpack almost any kind of zip file.

I appreciate your feedback!

Well clearly your teacher is a dumbass who was unwilling to reach out to you to know how to open it or to get you to reupload it in a different format.

WinRar does support 7z files. So does Winzip.

I'm guessing they have neither of these softwares and just use Windows' built-in thing that can only open zip files.

Either that, or they are on MacOS, which, from what I can tell, needs a third party software to open them.

But honestly, when you uploaded your project, it should've told you which format to use. Why did you use 7z? Most schools demand things to be like, "word document" and "zip". Using ODT, PDF or 7z files, while they are alternatives, is not appropriate unless the teacher specifically allows it.

Just demand a grade revision.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

yeah you can. When you install winrar you can choose the option for it to open and support 7zip files

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motheboard
    MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
  • RAM
    CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black
  • GPU
    MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Gray
  • Case
    CORSAIR - iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case - Black
  • Storage
    WD - Blue 500GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
  • PSU
    CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
  • Display
    Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black
  • Keyboard
    Razer Cynosa Chroma
  • Mouse
    Razer Mamba Elite
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Well clearly your teacher is a dumbass who was willingly to reach out to you to know how to open it.

WinRar does support 7z files. So does Winzip.

I'm guessing they have neither of these softwares and just use Windows' built-in thing that can only open zip files.

Either that, or they are on MacOS, which, from what I can tell, needs a third party software to open them.

But honestly, when you uploaded your project, it should've told you which format to use. Why did you use 7z? Most schools demand things to be like, "word document" and "zip". Using ODT, PDF or 7z files, while they are alternatives, is not appropriate unless the teacher specifically allows it.

I always have used 7zip and never got into any trouble with it. While he did specify that it had to be a zip file, so do my other teachers and they never had any problem opening them.

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Or you could've used the standard .zip files without special things like this extreme compression ratios or whatever WinRAR and what not support. It is common practice to use a standard file format in every case, be it .docx, .pptx, .xlsx, .pdf or .zip and not some fancies like .rar, .7z, .tar or whatever.

If I were you I'd not be asking whether x application opens y file format but rather using the standard .zip format like a regular person, but rather for the teacher to give you a re-evaluation with a regular .zip file

IIRC basically every compression/decompression application that I know reads basically everything that you could want, including WinRAR reading .7z files.

In that case you were just lucky, nothing more, nothing less. You went against the rules by not using the required format.

I guess I did go against the rules then. Thanks for the input!

21 minutes ago, osnuf161 said:

I guess I did go against the rules then. Thanks for the input!

I would just re-upload the assignment as a .zip and then calmly explain to the teacher that you apologize. You realize that the requested format was *.zip but you had gotten into the habit of using a different file format. Let him know you’ve already re-uploaded the file in the correct format and request a re-evaluation. Also promise to use the zip format for all future assignments. 

The fact that your teacher doesn’t have software to open a 7zip for or doesn’t know how to open a 7zip file is 100% irrelevant. 

Back in my day it was rar files that the teachers didn’t know how to open. We still needed to use zip because that’s what the teachers knew and were comfortable with. And that’s okay. 

If for whatever reason they refuse to regrade the assignment, email their boss and explain calmly how you accidentally used the wrong format but have since re-uploaded in the correct format and wish to have a chance at getting your assignment graded. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)