Half-new build, fans start then stop

LT403F

Hey there,

so I finally decided to change my piece of shite AMD 5000+, I got myself an Intel 3350P, also with a new mobo and new RAM. I'm also using a Sapphire 7850, a be quiet! 530W PSU and the case from my old PC.

I put the new parts together, inserted the GPU, connected the power cables, all on the mobo's box. (this has a name that I can't remember now.)

I tried starting the whole thing, and the GPU/CPU fans started spinning, but stopped. And then again and again. During further testing I noticed that if I remove the CPU power cable, the fans don't stop spinning; still no post, though.

Later, I removed the CPU fan and the CPU, and there *appears* to be a single bent pin on the socket. I can't take a picture as the camera on my phone sucks, and I can't imagine how the hell did it get bent, but it is.

So is that the issue or I should look elsewhere? If it is, does a needle sound like a thing to attempt to fix that with?

That is most likely the issue. You can use a needle or tweezers to fix it, but you could also try an empty mechanical pencil while being very careful. If you cannot fix it, RMA it and get a new one.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Use a credit card. Although don't expect success.

You can also use a fine tip razer blade to move it around but that sounds like the problem to me.

Case: Fractal Design R4 (x2 Noctua 140mm Fans, x2 Fractal Design Fans)            Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.2GHz (Hyper 212 Evo)             Audioengine A5+ Black Speakers

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3                                           Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC                                               Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Red

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4X4GB DDR3-1600                                                     Power Supply: OCZ Z-Series Semi Modular Gold 850W                 ASUS & LG 21.5 Monitor (Dual monitor arm)

Alright, I *think* I adjusted the pin to be neeeear to where the other ones are. Still no idea how it got bent.

Going to go to sleep now and fire it up again tomorrow.

I'll update this, hopefully with good news.

I'm back, it mostly didn't work.(double post because I'm not sure if an edit would bring the topic back up; I apologise if that's the case)

First, I hooked it all up up again and got 5 beeps. Googling revealed that it's a GPU thing, and it turned out that the card wasn't fully seated. OK, that's easy to fix.

On my second try, the problem was the same as before (fans starting to spin and then stopping). However, I also couldn't replicate the 5 beeps that I got at first, which I thought was pretty interesting.

I also tried booting without RAM, and that obviously got me 3 beeps (no memory)

I'm wondering if RMA'ing the mobo is the way to go now. I did get the pin roughly where it should be, but it's pretty messed up. I really doubt the retailer would change/fix it free of charge, as even though I have no idea how I did it, it's probably my own fault:/

Is it all done or would there be anything else to catch on, like the GPU beep thing? I doubt it

I would RMA the mobo.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Right then, probably going to take it in tomorrow, as I'm going to that city anyway.

I should take in only the motherboard, no? Or the CPU/RAM too?

I really hope that the warranty covers this.

Right then, probably going to take it in tomorrow, as I'm going to that city anyway.

I should take in only the motherboard, no? Or the CPU/RAM too?

I really hope that the warranty covers this.

I would take in the CPU/RAM as well, just to be safe.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ok well first have you check if the motherboard was compatible with cpu. silly question but it can happen. I doubt thats the issue. If you can remember do you recall any of the pins were bent when installing it for first time. did you have a hard time installing it the cpu? whatever id rma the cpu personally if you weren't sure how that bent pin happened. could rma the mobo to. as for ram should not be the issue really even with buggy ram it should still get to post. If you have an asrock mobo I have heard they have poor ram compatibility.  for safe measure id get mobo+cpu exchanged

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

Yeah, they're compatible, just checked. I reeeeally should've checked the pins before inserting the cpu, but unfortunately I didn't. I installed it very quickly and painlessly.

As for the RAM, I just checked the compatible RAM list on the Asrock site and the particular stick that I have isn't there, however it seems to fit from the other specifications (it says up to 1600Mhz RAM and the stick is 1.5V so should work, really.)