PiHole IP conflict

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

You need to set a static IP address, you can make it whatever you want but make sure that none of your other devices have the same. You can type arp -a into the terminal and find the addresses of all the devices on your network.

I'm just going to add to this and say make sure the IP you give it is outside of your Router's DHCP pool or else there's the potential the Router might hand it out later. You can reserve the IP based on the NIC MAC address on the motherboard or you can shrink the DHCP pool so you have a range of addresses you can use for later.

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the pi hole setup:

I while I was going through the visual interface a warning message appeared (the one mentioned in the tutorial) and I stopped because I was worried the ip might conflict with my modem( which btw is an isp provided modem), should I be?

You need to set a static IP address, you can make it whatever you want but make sure that none of your other devices have the same. You can type arp -a into the terminal and find the addresses of all the devices on your network.

I'm just going to add to this and say make sure the IP you give it is outside of your Router's DHCP pool or else there's the potential the Router might hand it out later. You can reserve the IP based on the NIC MAC address on the motherboard or you can shrink the DHCP pool so you have a range of addresses you can use for later.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Thank you!

56 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If they do conflict (don't worry i understand what you said) will it break my wifi?

2 minutes ago, c0ldie said:

If they do conflict (don't worry i understand what you said) will it break my wifi?

IP conflicts on an network can cause a number of interesting issues. Sometimes the network will become extremely slow and sometimes you won't be able to access the IP of the devices sharing the same IP. Once you resolve it though the network recovers basically instantly but if you can reserve the IP(s) you use from the DHCP pool it won't be something you need to worry about unless you change router's, reset the router and forget about your static IP clients.