Bottlenecking or just faulty hardware?

Centus

So I'm not sure where to start...

I was one of the few people to get a 3070 early on and hyped as anyone would be but after installing it in my PC, updating drivers, the BIOS, etc. I noticed that I was constantly hitting 100% CPU usage in basically any game (Rainbow 6, MW, Warzone, AC: Odyssey, and others) which I don't remember happening before and I can't seem to find a solution besides "reinstall windows" that I haven't yet tried.

Interestingly when I first ran Benchmarks for it in certain games this was not the case as you can see here. (The first screenshot is with my old 1080 still in use and the second one with the 3070 installed.)

Another issue that occured after installing the 3070 was that running first tests in most games like CSGO, Siege etc. I had an insane increase in FPS (CS: from 250ish to 400+, R6: from 230 to 300+, Warzone: from 110-180) but after a day or two I had even worse performance than before in Siege now being around 220-230 FPS, CS hovering just above 300 and Warzone being basically the same as before. No idea why it just changed (maybe Driver updates or Windows updated?

Is this just straight up bottlenecking since my CPU can't keep up with my GPU or is it possible that either the 3070 or the I7 is faulty?

For my specs:

My CPU is the I7 9700k, MoBo is the MSI MPG z390 Gaming Edge, GPU previously was an ASUS GTX 1080, the new one is the RTX 3070 Founders edition,

If anyone here might know a solution or have an idea of how to troubleshoot to find out what the problem might be I would highly appreciate it!

Did you make sure the CPU isn't thermal throttling?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Centus said:

maybe Driver updates or Windows updated?

That's possible,disable Windows Update and it won't happen.

As for CPU usage check task manager to find what program does that.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Did you make sure the CPU isn't thermal throttling?

Thermals are all normal, highest I could see even under the heavies load was mid 60°c 

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

That's possible,disable Windows Update and it won't happen.

As for CPU usage check task manager to find what program does that.

Weird this was that Task Manager showed 100% CPU while HWMonitor showed a normal 90% usage. The lower frames were happening regardless.

There wasnt one single program that maxed it out, it was always the game being really high and pushing to that 100%

Just now, Centus said:

Weird this was that Task Manager showed 100% CPU while HWMonitor showed a normal 90% usage. The lower frames were happening regardless.

There wasnt one single program that maxed it out, it was always the game being really high and pushing to that 100%

What about the other programs?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

What about the other programs?

Havent tried any other programs besides that.