SSD TRIM; How do you know when you need to use it?

Sarra

I've goggled this, and literally everything I've found is just 'how to tell if it's enabled', and 'how to run a TRIM in Windows', but literally NOTHING (even the f***ing article TITLED "WHEN TO TRIM YOUR DRIVE") actually spells out 'what do you use to determine when it is necessary to run a TRIM on an SSD'.

So, I'm asking here. Can someone please elaborate on this? I've used SSD's for 5 years now, but other than manually running TRIM after around once a month, or after moving lots of data on or off (or installing a game, for example), I actually have no idea when it's necessary to actually do this.

On that note, I've LITERALLY never seen Windows actually run TRIM by itself. My second machine has gone 3-4 months on it's own without Windows automatically running this, even though it's set to 'automatic', which confounds me, and this behavior has been consistent from Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 10, and Windows 10 Pro.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

By default TRIM is turned on. It's not something that you "run". Leave it enabled and it will take care of itself. 

What is TRIM for SSD drives?

TRIM is a command with the help of which the operating system can tell the solid state drive (SSD) which data blocks are no longer needed and can be deleted, or are marked as free for rewriting. In other words, TRIM is a command that helps the operating system know precisely where the data that you want to move or delete is stored. That way, the solid state drive can access only the blocks holding the data. Furthermore, whenever a delete command is issued by the user or the operating system, the TRIM command immediately wipes the pages or blocks where the files are stored. This means that the next time the operating system tries to write new data in that area, it does not have to wait first to delete it.

Still got any questions?

13 minutes ago, Sarra said:

On that note, I've LITERALLY never seen Windows actually run TRIM by itself. My second machine has gone 3-4 months on it's own without Windows automatically running this, even though it's set to 'automatic', which confounds me, and this behavior has been consistent from Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 10, and Windows 10 Pro

You don't see it, it still is run once a week or when the PC is sitting idle. There is zero reason to be running it manually.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.