How much W PSU to future-proof my build (Ryzen 7 3800X and RTX 3080)

n0stalghia

I'm upgrading to a 3080 when the financial and supply situation allows, so probably sometime in March/April.

I have a motherboard with an AM4 socket and a Ryzen 7 3800X in it. I'm planning on keeping this CPU for a while, like 4-5 years, and then upgrading to whatever most modern CPU that AM4 socket will support. For example, if the 5xxx generation is the last one to support AM4, I will get a Ryzen 9 5900X, a used one, in like 4-5 years. 

For a GPU, I'm planning on using a RTX 3080, and then maybe upgrading to a RTX 5080 or something.

I realize this is all very vague and we all are guessing here, but do you think a 850W PSU might cut it? Are the loads going to increase substantially in the coming generations? Or should I play it safe and pick up a kilowatt PSU?

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

7 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

aim for a 5600x/5800x Huge imrovement

Thanks, but I'll aim for whatever is the top CPU that runs on AM4 in 4-5 years from now on. Used, it'll be a fraction of what it costs now. 

I like cute animal pics.

1 minute ago, n0stalghia said:

Thanks, but I'll aim for whatever is the top CPU that runs on AM4 in 4-5 years from now on. Used, it'll be a fraction of what it costs now. 

well, amd will drop am4 and go to a new socket, am5 next time. Probably, so maybe wait for am5 for the best upgradability

16 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

well, amd will drop am4 and go to a new socket, am5 next time. Probably, so maybe wait for am5 for the best upgradability

Then I'll pick up a R9 5900 like 4 years from now, which will last me for some two additional years before I have to switch to AM5.

I completely missed AMD dropping the AM4 socket, when was this announced?

I like cute animal pics.

3 minutes ago, n0stalghia said:

Then I'll pick up a R9 5900 like 4 years from now, which will last me for some two additional years before I have to switch to AM5.

not that long ago

ryzen 5000 is last generation on am4

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 minutes ago, n0stalghia said:

they did not announce it. But it makes sense now, since the cpu is limited to power delivery. If they want more powerful cpu we will probably see am5 x670 and b650 q4 2o21/q1 2020