M.2 NVME SSD not detected in BIOS

moosejuan

Hello all, was wondering if anyone had any input on this issue i’m having. Did a lot of research on the topic and haven’t been able to fix it. Built my computer back in April, specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

GPU: Radeon 5700XT

PSU: Cooler Master 750W

Ram: 16GB (8x2) GSkillz Trident Z 3600mhz CL18 (yes i know this cpu can’t utilize the full speed of this memory I bought it to run it at a lower speed and “future proof” for when ryzen 5000 releases.)

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (BIOS Version 7C02v36) 

Storage: Intel 660p M.2 NVME SSD 500GB (Boot drive) + Seagate Barracuda HDD 2TB (games library)

So the build went fine and everything was working, but I decided to upgrade my CPU cooler. I was using the stock one and upgraded to Hyper 212 Evo, once I went to fire it up after installing the new cooler I was promoted with a “Reboot or select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” I then rebooted and went into BIOS to discover that my ssd was no longer being detected, but my hard drive was. So far i’ve tried:

1)Removing and reinstalling the drive

2)Unplugging my HDD so only the SSD is plugged in

3)Disabling CSM

4)Going into UEFI mode

5)Removing CMOS for 30 mins

6)Powered on and off multiple times for long periods with the power supply disconnected from the wall and turned off

None of these made any difference, the drive is still not detected in bios. From what i’ve read the only thing I have not tried is updating the bios (the current version I am running was released april of this year, there has been one update since then that I have not done yet that released this month, but the update description mentions nothing that would affect my problem), but i feel that won’t do anything (I also lost my flash drive so need to go pick one up to do this) seeing that the system worked perfectly fine just before I installed the new cooler and I didn’t touch the drive at all so I’m lost as to how this could even happen. Any help or input is appreciated, thanks!

Try using another m.2 slot on your motherboard. It might have been disabled, who knows.

33 minutes ago, moosejuan said:

Hello all, was wondering if anyone had any input on this issue i’m having. Did a lot of research on the topic and haven’t been able to fix it. Built my computer back in April, specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

GPU: Radeon 5700XT

PSU: Cooler Master 750W

Ram: 16GB (8x2) GSkillz Trident Z 3600mhz CL18 (yes i know this cpu can’t utilize the full speed of this memory I bought it to run it at a lower speed and “future proof” for when ryzen 5000 releases.)

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (BIOS Version 7C02v36) 

Storage: Intel 660p M.2 NVME SSD 500GB (Boot drive) + Seagate Barracuda HDD 2TB (games library)

So the build went fine and everything was working, but I decided to upgrade my CPU cooler. I was using the stock one and upgraded to Hyper 212 Evo, once I went to fire it up after installing the new cooler I was promoted with a “Reboot or select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” I then rebooted and went into BIOS to discover that my ssd was no longer being detected, but my hard drive was. So far i’ve tried:

1)Removing and reinstalling the drive

2)Unplugging my HDD so only the SSD is plugged in

3)Disabling CSM

4)Going into UEFI mode

5)Removing CMOS for 30 mins

6)Powered on and off multiple times for long periods with the power supply disconnected from the wall and turned off

None of these made any difference, the drive is still not detected in bios. From what i’ve read the only thing I have not tried is updating the bios (the current version I am running was released april of this year, there has been one update since then that I have not done yet that released this month, but the update description mentions nothing that would affect my problem), but i feel that won’t do anything (I also lost my flash drive so need to go pick one up to do this) seeing that the system worked perfectly fine just before I installed the new cooler and I didn’t touch the drive at all so I’m lost as to how this could even happen. Any help or input is appreciated, thanks!

Also, forgot to add I don’t currently have a way to test the drive itself, but i ordered a a USB to M.2 adapter to test the drive on a laptop I have accessible to me. I also ordered a PCIE to M.2 adapter in the event that the slot on the motherboard is somehow bad. And if the drive itself did fail for some reason I have a Samsung 970 Evo in that same order on the way (thank you cyber monday deals for that 60$ 970 Evo, makes this headache of a problem just a tad bit better lulz)