Is this correct? (Question about free/open space and thick volume)

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
1 hour ago, Eragorn said:

side note: god I'd love to visit new zealand one day :/ haha

As long as you are prepared for a REALLY long flight haha. If you like outdoor activities and adrenalin sport/entertainment there's a lot for you to do here, although personally I'm not one to throw myself off a perfectly good bridge tied to a bungee cord, or jump out a plane lol. I will go on a jet boat ride though.

This properly means I have 44tb's of usable space correct? I had it as a thick volume, then I set it as a thin volume and I think that was wrong so I set it back again as a thick volume. Device is a QNAP nas. Thank you for the help. 

Screenshot 2020-11-29 234427.png

You likely want it set to thin not thick. If you leave it as a thick volume you won't be able to create any more volumes if you need to. That's also why you are getting a free space warning as a thick volume actually uses up the space even if there is no actual data usage. A think volume will only use as much space as there is actual data and will automatically grow in size as needed.

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

You likely want it set to thin not thick. If you leave it as a thick volume you won't be able to create any more volumes if you need to. That's also why you are getting a free space warning as a thick volume actually uses up the space even if there is no actual data usage. A think volume will only use as much space as there is actual data and will automatically grow in size as needed.

ELI5 why it's better tao grow a drive as I need more space vs using folders and just keeping it large? 

ELI5 why it's better tao grow a drive as I need more space vs using folders and just keeping it large? 

Really it mostly comes down to all the space been wasted by being fully allocated to zero space, you might need that space for another volume at some point or who knows what else. It's just overall better to only have it consume the actual space you are using.

As long as you are prepared for a REALLY long flight haha. If you like outdoor activities and adrenalin sport/entertainment there's a lot for you to do here, although personally I'm not one to throw myself off a perfectly good bridge tied to a bungee cord, or jump out a plane lol. I will go on a jet boat ride though.