Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gpu overclocking

Hi, im wondering if slapping a cpu tower cooler on my gpu will make it overclock higher? I reached a max overclock of 2085/7585mhz on my 1660 super and the max temp while gaming is 65 celsius.

21 minutes ago, gtx2660 said:

Hi, im wondering if slapping a cpu tower cooler on my gpu will make it overclock higher? I reached a max overclock of 2085/7585mhz on my 1660 super and the max temp while gaming is 65 celsius.

If your max temps are that low there’s probably something else stopping you besides temperature.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

With a max temp of 65C, it's pretty clear that thermals aren't what's limiting your overclock. But even if your temps were the liming factor, there's really no obvious way to use a tower cooler on a GPU. First off, there's no easy way to mount it. There aren't holes around the processor die like on a motherboard. Second, the only way I see you getting a tower cooler to fit in the first place would be by removing the GPU's original heatsink, which would cause other problems. The die isn't the only thing on a GPU that needs cooling. The capacitors, MOSFETs and even memory also need some cooling. Finally, even if you did manage to somehow put a tower cooler on the GPU, it might rip itself out of the PCI-e slot because of its sheer weight. Overall, it's a bad idea.

My System: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC •  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White) • ASUS VG27AQ • Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum • Logitech G502 Hero

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

I was planning on mounting the gpu flat on the bottom of the case and run a pcie riser to the slot on the motherboard. Also i can get small hetsinks online for the memory and vrm's. If someone knows whats limiting my overclock please let me know what i need to do :)

12 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

With a max temp of 65C, it's pretty clear that thermals aren't what's limiting your overclock. But even if your temps were the liming factor, there's really no obvious way to use a tower cooler on a GPU. First off, there's no easy way to mount it. There aren't holes around the processor die like on a motherboard. Second, the only way I see you getting a tower cooler to fit in the first place would be by removing the GPU's original heatsink, which would cause other problems. The die isn't the only thing on a GPU that needs cooling. The capacitors, MOSFETs and even memory also need some cooling. Finally, even if you did manage to somehow put a tower cooler on the GPU, it might rip itself out of the PCI-e slot because of its sheer weight. Overall, it's a bad idea.

There are videos of hacks of how it can be done.  LTT even did one I believe.  It’s not easy, and generally involves heat sinks, zip ties and fans.  One seems to mostly be trading noise level for form factor convenience.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 minutes ago, gtx2660 said:

I was planning on mounting the gpu flat on the bottom of the case and run a pcie riser to the slot on the motherboard. Also i can get small hetsinks online for the memory and vrm's. If someone knows whats limiting my overclock please let me know what i need to do :)

Did you put your overvoltage limit to the max on MSI Afterburner? Sorry if you have, just wondering how you are getting that low temps while overclocking it to the max.

3 minutes ago, Rooked said:

Did you put your overvoltage limit to the max on MSI Afterburner? Sorry if you have, just wondering how you are getting that low temps while overclocking it to the max.

Core voltage is at 100% which is max. The gpu is consuming max 1050 mv under load.

Just now, gtx2660 said:

Core voltage is at 100% which is max. The gpu is consuming max 1050 mv under load.

Then if you can't get a higher overclock, it is definitely not your temperature. Don't put a CPU cooler on your GPU. 

i just did a test with 100% fan speed which allowed me to get 2100 mhz without artifacts while with 72% fan speed im getting them every time the gpu hits 2100mhz. This makes me think that better cooling might yield a better overclock to some extend. hmm

7 hours ago, gtx2660 said:

i just did a test with 100% fan speed which allowed me to get 2100 mhz without artifacts while with 72% fan speed im getting them every time the gpu hits 2100mhz. This makes me think that better cooling might yield a better overclock to some extend. hmm

There are many parts to a gpu and many things that control it. Cooling the gpu processor, which is all such a thing would do is likely to be no help. The fan speed increase might be cooling OTHER parts of the GPU which is making things work better, but a hybrid air cpu cooler system would likely make that worse not better.  You might gain something from looking up what was found by extreme over clockers that have messed with that particular model in the past, but just blindly strapping a big air cooler to the processor does not seem like a promising solution to me.

Edited by Bombastinator

5 hours ago, gtx2660 said:

That could very well be your RAM OC hitting the "topend of temps" those ram chips Want for Stability.
You keep the RAM chips cooler they go further.
Reduce RAMspeed clocks if you want to lower fans.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 11/30/2020 at 10:51 AM, Bombastinator said:

There are many parts to a gpu and many things that control it. Cooling the gpu processor, which is all such a thing would do is likely to be no help. The fan speed increase might be cooling OTHER parts of the GPU which is making things work better, but a hybrid air cpu cooler system would likely make that worse not better.  You might gain something from looking up what was found by extreme over clockers that have messed with that particular model in the past, but just blindly strapping a big air cooler to the processor does not seem like a promising solution to me.

yeah i will put a water cooler on it, seems like the best option

15 minutes ago, gtx2660 said:

yeah i will put a water cooler on it, seems like the best option

I was trying to say why I think that might not necessarily work well, but as you wish. A full coverage block will likely work better than an AIOhybrid system though.  The issue with AIOhybrid is the main chip gets more cooling but the rest of the board gets less cooling.  With a full coveragle block the main chi AND the memory and sometimes vrms get lots of cooling and the rest of the card get almost no cooling.  It depends on where the overheat bottleneck is.  If it’s in the main chip an AIO hybrid will work fine.  If it’s in the main chip or memory or VRM a full coverage block will do the job.  If it’s in some weird tertiary location both systems will be worse than standard air. The vast vast majority of the time though the full coverage block will get what needs to be gotten.

Edited by Bombastinator

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I was trying to say why I think that might not necessarily work well, but as you wish. A full coverage block will likely work better than an AIOhybrid system though.  The issue with AIOhybrid is the main chip gets more cooling but the rest of the board gets less cooling.  With a full coveragle block the main chi AND the memory and sometimes vrms get lots of cooling and the rest of the card get almost no cooling.  It depends on where the overheat bottleneck is.  If it’s in the main chip an AIO hybrid will work fine.  If it’s in the main chip or memory or VRM a full coverage block will do the job.  If it’s in some weird tertiary location both systems will be worse than standard air. The vast vast majority of the time though the full coverage block will get what needs to be gotten.

And that is bombastik