Standard or Enterprise Hard Drive

IronicRhetoric

Looking to buy a larger internal hard drive and needed some help in choosing one. I know the general difference between the enterprise and consumer grade HD is that the Enterprise is usually louder. Would this still be the case if it's running at 7200 RPM? Not sure why, but for some reason the Enterprise hard drives (12TB ones) are currently cheaper than their consumer grade counterparts. Sadly, none of the 12TB drives will be on sale for Cyber Monday. Also, has anyone had any issues with either of these brands? I usually buy Western Digital Black drives, but I don't see any drives over 10TB. Yes, I know HGST is owned by Western Digital. This drive will only be storing video files which I watch through the Plex App on my TV. Below are the drives I'm currently looking at buying. Thanks for any help.

HGST DC HC520 12TB $274 - Amazon 

Seagate BarraCuda Pro 12TB $465 - Amazon - for some reason the 14TB is cheaper than the 12TB.

Seagate EXOS 12TB $253 - Amazon

HGST is owned by WD, but they still make its hdd in their own factory, this is important, japanese hdd are the best.

doesn't matter if it's enterprise or not, it's basically the same. enterprise usually sold in bulk and have longer warranty.

probably they overproduce and because of covid datacenters are reducing the purchase, so they sell it in retail.

Japanese HDD (toshiba / hgst) still have better failure rate then other brand, check this report.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q3-2020/

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

you shouldn't worry about the 7200rpm.

The difference is not the way it was.

Drive density is so high right now.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w