can i use a 12v adapter on a switch that only needs 9v?

MixaMega

i found a network switch, and it works, but i cant find any 9v adapters that it needs, i can only find 12 or 5, i tried 5v and it doesnt work, when i try with 12 it does work, will it break if i keep using it?

NO FOR GODS SAKE DONT.

there's a good chance you're overloading caps, making the SoC's run way too hot, etc...

just about any components retailer has a wide range of plug power supplies available at just about every voltage imaginable.

it's not worth the 15 bucks to potentially blow up a switch...

4 minutes ago, MixaMega said:

i found a network switch, and it works, but i cant find any 9v adapters that it needs, i can only find 12 or 5, i tried 5v and it doesnt work, when i try with 12 it does work, will it break if i keep using it?

Chances are the Controller on the switch is rated for more than 9V but you never know. If it's worth more than a few bucks just get a cheap 9V Power Supply from Amazon with the right connector.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

It depends on the tolerances it was designed with. With that being unknown, you do have a chance of destroying components on the board.

I would personally advise against it and purchase a power adapter that meets it's recommended spec.

8 minutes ago, -iSynthesis said:

Chances are the Controller on the switch is rated for more than 9V but you never know. If it's worth more than a few bucks just get a cheap 9V Power Supply from Amazon with the right connector.

its a asus gigax 1008

where can i check how much it can handle?

11 minutes ago, MixaMega said:

its a asus gigax 1008

where can i check how much it can handle?

Uhh if it just says 9V on your switch there's a chance that there won't be any more info available officially. You'd have to open the thing up and find the Power controller and check the specifications on that... which likely is too much work for this...

There are really practical switching Power Supplies that can do Anything between 5V and 12V that you can use for anything really. I'd suggest you spend those 15€ or so on such a device... Always useful to have around

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

1 hour ago, -iSynthesis said:

Uhh if it just says 9V on your switch there's a chance that there won't be any more info available officially. You'd have to open the thing up and find the Power controller and check the specifications on that... which likely is too much work for this...

There are really practical switching Power Supplies that can do Anything between 5V and 12V that you can use for anything really. I'd suggest you spend those 15€ or so on such a device... Always useful to have around

Even then, the component might be rated above 9v but then need a heatsink to do so, which obviously is not included because the product was designed for 9v.

Plus as already mentioned, the capacitors are likely only somewhere around 9v rated.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7