Using an external SSD as a boot drive.

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
2 minutes ago, Elans said:

will I get an advantage from an external SSD as the main boot drive?

No, you will be limited by the USB speed, and lose the advantages of SSDs.

Unless you live in a place where parts are very expensive, 512MB SSDs are well under 100$, get an internal one, install Windows to that, and use the normal HDD for data 

Hello, I've been searching around the internet and couldn't find conclusive information about this topic.

So what I want to understand is this, I'm checking my local electronics stores and it seems that external SSD's are cheaper per MB than internal SSD's. This fact made me wonder, Im currently using an internal HDD, and it's okay I guess, but I want to know will I get an advantage from an external SSD as the main boot drive? Also if i do get an advantage, how are external SSD's different from internal SSD's except the USB connection. I hope im not doing too much with all these questions, but does the USB connection decrease the efficiency of the SSD? Thank you very much! 

To simplify it:

1. I want to know whether there is an advantage from an external SSD as the main boot drive over HDD.
  2. If there is an advantage should I get an external SSD as my boot drive or is it better to spend 1/3 to 1/2 as much on a dedicated internal SSD?

Id just get a internal ssdif youcan.

But a external ssd will be much faster than the internal hdd. But there are some issues with usb and potiental issues, and there slower, so just get the internal ssd.

2 minutes ago, Elans said:

will I get an advantage from an external SSD as the main boot drive?

No, you will be limited by the USB speed, and lose the advantages of SSDs.

Unless you live in a place where parts are very expensive, 512MB SSDs are well under 100$, get an internal one, install Windows to that, and use the normal HDD for data 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.