Move my router

jakedb84
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
1 hour ago, jakedb84 said:

thanks for the reply, sorry the router is a sky hub SR203.

Would a AP just carry the same WIFI as the main router, as work PC is locked to one Wi-Fi for some reason 

You should quote people when you reply, so they get notified of it. I only saw you had replied here by accident.

As for the question, you need to clarify what you mean. If the work-PC only allows you to connect to a WiFi-network with a specific name and password, then you can configure the access-point to use the same name and password and the work-PC should work with it. If it still didn't work, you could always move the router upstairs and bring the access-point downstairs, so you still have WiFi on both floors. Alas, if the work-PC uses some other mechanism to only allow itself to connect to the router, then you'd have to go with the router upstairs from the get-go.

9 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

maybe outdoor rated ethernet cables could be an option (possibly avoids having to drill through the ceiling)

What difference would using outdoors-rated cables bring over regular ones? It's still ethernet, CAT5e is rated for 100m at gigabit-speed and there's literally no reason why one would need outdoors-rated cable to route ethernet along the walls and ceiling using those cable-runs.

Good day ladies and gents, I am after a bit of advise regarding moving a router.

So i am UK based so unsure how things differ in other countries, I need to move my router as it is in my kitchen at the back of the house and in the office upstairs we get no Wi-Fi.

I tried to get one of those TP link to use the wiring of the house but it has been unsuccessful and the speed drops 90%.

So before I go drilling holes through walls just want to get peoples views as I am sure a lot of you have a better idea then I do.

A) Should I look at just adding an extension to the master socket and run some telephone wire through my house so i can move my router to a central location. approx. 15m of wire

B) Run a wire externally from the socket to a modem in different room (if this is possible) this will be approx. 8m

Or any other ideas.

I am not the most tech savvy person in this area of things but hope it makes sense 

8 minutes ago, jakedb84 said:

A) Should I look at just adding an extension to the master socket and run some telephone wire through my house so i can move my router to a central location. approx. 15m of wire

B) Run a wire externally from the socket to a modem in different room (if this is possible) this will be approx. 8m

Or any other ideas.

You don't mention anything about what kind of a router you have. If the router has multiple LAN-ports on it, you could buy a WiFi access-point, put the AP in your office and run a CAT5e Ethernet-cable from the AP to the router's LAN-port, thereby letting you have WiFi both in your office and your kitchen. Running an Ethernet-cable can also be done externally, without drilling, if that option is preferable -- just buy some nice-looking cable-runs to for it. I, personally, use cable-run, because it's not possible to do the wiring otherwise over here without tearing all the walls down.

Cable-run:

Plastic-Cable-Trunking-Cover-For-High.jpg.f1b67f0aaf08374bea3c29b6c6511fd2.jpg

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Hey,

Would a AP just carry the same WIFI as the main router, as work PC is locked to one Wi-Fi for some reason 

Just to add to @WereCatf's answer, maybe outdoor rated ethernet cables could be an option (possibly avoids having to drill through the ceiling). I used such a cable at my parents' house after I was unhappy with the performance I got using power adapters-
If you want to avoid drilling altogether, there should be some flat ethernet passthroughs that you can squeeze through your window frame (without damaging anything of course). While they probably will degrade the maximum theoretical performance a bit, there is a good chance you will still get more than decent speeds.

1 hour ago, jakedb84 said:

You should quote people when you reply, so they get notified of it. I only saw you had replied here by accident.

As for the question, you need to clarify what you mean. If the work-PC only allows you to connect to a WiFi-network with a specific name and password, then you can configure the access-point to use the same name and password and the work-PC should work with it. If it still didn't work, you could always move the router upstairs and bring the access-point downstairs, so you still have WiFi on both floors. Alas, if the work-PC uses some other mechanism to only allow itself to connect to the router, then you'd have to go with the router upstairs from the get-go.

9 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

maybe outdoor rated ethernet cables could be an option (possibly avoids having to drill through the ceiling)

What difference would using outdoors-rated cables bring over regular ones? It's still ethernet, CAT5e is rated for 100m at gigabit-speed and there's literally no reason why one would need outdoors-rated cable to route ethernet along the walls and ceiling using those cable-runs.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I suggested routing the cables outdoors along the wall (if it makes sense in OP's situation), that's why I suggested properly rated cables.

Just now, greenhorn said:

I suggested routing the cables outdoors along the wall (if it makes sense in OP's situation), that's why I suggested properly rated cables.

Mmkay. Well, if OP considers that an option, then sure.