I just remounted my CPU HSF

...and I wanted to share my results with ya'll. Especially those of you who don't think we can reuse thermal paste.

Back in around March this year my NVMe (Kingston A2000) just borked itself for some reason, 2-3 months old and I had to RMA it. To get it out I had to take my HSF off (Be Quiet! DR4) and I didn't bother to apply fresh paste because I didn't want to use the last of my Kryonaut. Now though I wanted to reseat it, after all I have the Be Quiet paste included with my cooler if something happens.

I ran Cinebench R23 before and after just to see if there was any difference, there was a little but nothing I would consider noticeable. Fan curves was the same and to make the potential difference higher I had my two ML fans stopped for both runs. Ambient temp around 26° (whooh warm...).

Pre reseat
Max temp: 75°, highest frequency: 4050,  score: 8064pts
post reseat
Max temp: 73°, highest frequency: 4050-4075, score: 8347pts

So there you go. 2 degrees difference. A little higher score almost 300 pts which is not bad but again not a huge difference.

1 hour ago, aDoomGuy said:

Especially those of you who don't think we can reuse thermal paste.

but why doe, almost every cooler comes with TIM.

So there you go. 2 degrees difference. A little higher score almost 300 pts which is not bad but again not a huge difference.

5 minutes of your time or a better performing cpu...

also you have to move your cpu cooler around with a contact surface covered in TIM why not just take the time to clean it off and put new stuff on!?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

but why doe, almost every cooler comes with TIM.

I dunno.. I guess because it's a silly little thing that's a real pain not to have when you build a system or replace a HSF?

6 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

5 minutes of your time or a better performing cpu...

also you have to move your cpu cooler around with a contact surface covered in TIM why not just take the time to clean it off and put new stuff on!?

I put it down as accurately as possible and if needed move it in position but I don't think it moved around this time. Be Quiet has good mounting mechanism. Hyper 212 was much harder to mount while keeping it still.

8 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

why not just take the time to clean it off and put new stuff on!?

I explained that in the original post.

and I didn't bother to apply fresh paste because I didn't want to use the last of my Kryonaut.

Difference wasn't noticeable. A little difference but I think I would get better performance by shutting the floor heating off and opening the windows but it's nice to have it warm inside in the winter lol.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

I explained that in the original post.

I thought you said you have a tube that came with the DR4

after all I have the Be Quiet paste included with my cooler if something happens.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

I thought you said you have a tube that came with the DR4

Yes but I doubt it is Kryonaut. I guess could have used that and saved the Kryo ...but I never gave it much thought. At the time I was mostly annoyed that my NVMe only lasted 2-3 months and had to wipe much of my data to get my PC up and running until my replacement got here.