Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Redundant PSU question

Hi all, got a PSU question. Got a Poweredge R610 with dual 502w PSUs. I am aware that they are built to be redundant. With that said, what happens if I draw more than 502w? Will I be able to get more power out, or will it end poorly? Or just a shutoff? 

My PC: 

CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 4.7Ghz Motherboard: EVGA Z170 FTW RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX GPU 1: EVGA GTX 1060 FTW GPU 2: MSI R9 270X HAWK Case: NZXT H440 Blue Storage: 120GB PNY, 1TB Hitachi Monitor: Asus VC279 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (MX Brown) Mouse: Logitech G602

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Motherboard: Some shit Gigabyte board RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares 2133Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 570 DoubleShot Case: Idk. Some cheap case Storage: 250GB HDD Monitor: Some NEC thing Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Some Microsoft mouse

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on the exact config, but normally it will shutdown if you need more than one psu can provide.

Hmmm. Will have to test and see then. I shouldnt damage anything though, right?

My PC: 

CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 4.7Ghz Motherboard: EVGA Z170 FTW RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX GPU 1: EVGA GTX 1060 FTW GPU 2: MSI R9 270X HAWK Case: NZXT H440 Blue Storage: 120GB PNY, 1TB Hitachi Monitor: Asus VC279 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (MX Brown) Mouse: Logitech G602

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Motherboard: Some shit Gigabyte board RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares 2133Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 570 DoubleShot Case: Idk. Some cheap case Storage: 250GB HDD Monitor: Some NEC thing Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Some Microsoft mouse

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Hmmm. Will have to test and see then. I shouldnt damage anything though, right?

Normlly not, id just test it.

Wht rae you running tht needs more than 500w? gpus?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Normlly not, id just test it.

Wht rae you running tht needs more than 500w? gpus?

That's the hope

My PC: 

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

That's the hope

What gpu do you wannafit in there, the single slot is gonna limit you, and the lack of power connectors.

I don't think it will be a issue, midrange gpus + dual cpus shouldn't be psu limited.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What gpu do you wannafit in there, the single slot is gonna limit you, and the lack of power connectors.

I don't think it will be a issue, midrange gpus + dual cpus shouldn't be psu limited.

R9 270x I know I'm gonna have to hack the card up and I know power is going to be interesting to say the least. 

With that said, the r610 has 2 pcie riser looking things. One with 2 8x slots and one with 1 8x. Is the 16x formfactor slot the one plugs into actually a 16x or is it 2 8x that share a 16x connector?

My PC: 

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

R9 270x I know I'm gonna have to hack the card up and I know power is going to be interesting to say the least. 

With that said, the r610 has 2 pcie riser looking things. One with 2 8x slots and one with 1 8x. Is the 16x formfactor slot the one plugs into actually a 16x or is it 2 8x that share a 16x connector?

Ye you probably gonna need. riser from the x8.

THst x16 on the board might be a x16, but I would keep the x8 riser on board to be sure.

BUt I don't think power will be. issue, the 270x doesn't pull much power.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ye you probably gonna need. riser from the x8.

THst x16 on the board might be a x16, but I would keep the x8 riser on board to be sure.

BUt I don't think power will be. issue, the 270x doesn't pull much power.

Well I think that board slot is 2 x8 in one connector, not a 16. It has a riser with it that is 2 8 pins but I plugged straight into the 16. Server throwing critical error now so rip. 

With that said, I've had that server in enclosed, but not temperature controlled storage for the last 2 years and I decided not to test it before starting so...

Good news is I have 2 of them and I got them both for less than Like $0.50/lb

Edit: looks like just the motherboard took the hit on the server (well idk about the gpu yet), but both CPUs and all the RAM works

Edit 2: GPU made it out alive

My PC: 

Guest PC: 

Spoiler