pc not booting with right pci-e power connected to gpu

Minibeau

After i turned of my computer because it froze up, i tried to turn it back on again. It didn't. After troubleshooting everything(checking if psu was working, pc started without gpu connected, etc) i finnaly think i found what the problem is. The right pci-e 8 pin slot on the gpu. When i plug in 1 of my pci-e cables, the pc boots. after turning it off and removing the cable from the slot and putting it in the right slot, it doesn't boot and my power supply gives a little pop(i think it is a short, don't know how though). With the gpu pluged in, it doesn't turn on, because it NEEDS both power cables to run. I have a gigabyte aorus 1080ti. Please help me with this issue, if i can't fix i will have to buy a gpu pretty fast, since i will be getting a ryzen 9 5950x tomorrow. Thanks in advance

does the system work with a different dual 8 pin GPU? Also I'm a bit confused:

4 minutes ago, Minibeau said:

When i plug in 1 of my pci-e cables, the pc boots

4 minutes ago, Minibeau said:

With the gpu pluged in, it doesn't turn on, because it NEEDS both power cables to run.

if it's booting without the second 8 pin, why does it need both cables?

if the 1080 doesn't work in a different PC, you might have a short in the card.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

does the system work with a different dual 8 pin GPU? Also I'm a bit confused:

if it's booting without the second 8 pin, why does it need both cables?

if the 1080 doesn't work in a different PC, you might have a short in the card.

The card has some debug led's, which turn on when one of the pci-e connectors isn't connected. When i connect one of the power cables, the integrated graphics also don't show me anything, which is a bit weird. I am currently updating the bios of the motherboard, let's hope this fixes it, I don't have high hopes though

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

The card needs both cables to work...

My pc does start with 1 cable plugged in, but i don't get any output to my display via the igpu or 1080ti

That's because it needs both to work as a video card.
It has enough power to tell the motherboard that it is a video card, so the iGPU is disabled, but not enough to output video.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

That's because it needs both to work as a video card.
It has enough power to tell the motherboard that it is a video card, so the iGPU is disabled, but not enough to output video.

So i tested it again, The igpu is still seen as the main gpu, and when i look in the bios, both pci-e slots i tried show nothing in the slot when the gpu is in it. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new gpu. I will try the 1080ti in my new pc tomorrow, but i don't have high hopes for it

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

If that doesn't work, try the oven method.

If you don't have one, check attics.

i can try that tomorrow, don't really feel comfortable putting it in the oven, but if it is already broken for sure, there isn't really much to lose