fan placement (Fractal Design R5)

xnoobftw
Go to solution Solved by shoutingsteve,

We are all saying the exact same thing (flip the fan to make it an exhaust) , but for different reasons.  The advice seems clear.

image.thumb.png.ef05a75a1d9f13bc0595e7294006cb3e.png

Hi guys,

My question is actually whether having the top front 140mm fan as intake or exhaust matter as much?

Currently its installed as an intake fan (filtered) for positive air pressure and in my mind im thinking it feeds fresh air directly into my Hyper 212X cooler

Or should i put it as an exhaust since heat rises due to convection?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Glad you added the drawing.  Based on that, I would have it as exhaust.  So your cool air is coming in the front and bottom while you hot air is escaping your rear and top.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

5 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

Glad you added the drawing.  Based on that, I would have it as exhaust.  So your cool air is coming in the front and bottom while you hot air is escaping your rear and top.

the question is whether the back exhaust fan will impede the top fans' ability to exhaust air properly

9 minutes ago, YSL_know_plug said:

the question is whether the back exhaust fan will impede the top fans' ability to exhaust air properly

The answer is no, it won't.

Not sure what these guys are mumbling about.

But a few things here.

1. Hot air doesn't raise in a case. Air (hot or cool) goes where you tell it to go. Unless the case is designed to work off of convection or assisted convection. 

2. The case is designed to move air in from the front and bottom and out the rear and top. However placing a fan in the top front position without a radiator for water cooling is a waste.

It will remove fresh air from system before the components can use it.

5 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Not sure what these guys are mumbling about.

But a few things here.

1. Hot air doesn't raise in a case. Air (hot or cool) goes where you tell it to go. Unless the case is designed to work off of convection or assisted convection. 

2. The case is designed to move air in from the front and bottom and out the rear and top. However placing a fan in the top front position without a radiator for water cooling is a waste.

It will remove fresh air from system before the components can use it.

Ah i get wym. Should i just cover it up with the included cover R5 provides? 

What about the exhaust from GPU? would having the fan as exhaust help?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

2 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

Ah i get wym. Should i just cover it up with the included cover R5 provides? 

What about the exhaust from GPU? would having the fan as exhaust help?

Lucky the placement of where that fan would mount is farther back do the hdd cage I would use it as exhaust

16 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

The answer is no, it won't.

so if i run a radiator on top as exhaust i should also still use an exhaust fan in the back of the case?

We are all saying the exact same thing (flip the fan to make it an exhaust) , but for different reasons.  The advice seems clear.

16 hours ago, YSL_know_plug said:

so if i run a radiator on top as exhaust i should also still use an exhaust fan in the back of the case?

16 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Yes

8 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

Thanks guys!