Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dumb question - direct link cable

I'm helping my 12yr old nephew put together his first PC. He's accumulated a few parts, but around Christmas, he'll have everything and we're going to assemble it together (more like he'll assemble it, I'll just tell him where stuff goes and in which order)

Anyway, when it's up and running, I was thinking we could do a 2-person LAN party and play some co-op games. I haven't been to a LAN party in over 15 years, and I remember sometimes when it was just me and one other person, we had the yellow crossover cable.

Is that still a thing? Or would I need to buy a switch and ethernet cables to do this one-time LAN party with my nephew? I have an extra wi-fi card I can slip into the 2nd PCI-E 16x slot on my motherboard so we could be in the same room.

Last time I did anything serious with networking, I was still using Windows 2000, so "rusty" would be an understatement. 

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 3600  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GL650F-B  |

Work Rig - AMD Ryzen 3 3200G  |  ASUS X570-P Prime  |  32GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  MSI GTX 1650 GDDR6  |  WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe  |  WD Blue 500GB SATA  |  Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SATA  |  Corsair TX650  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

You simply don't have a multi-modem or wireless router or something like that? If you do just connect to that like normal and make sure all machines have set the network to private. If you don't have that a switch should work fine.

TuringMachine

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

-Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907

Crossover cables are mostly obsolete now, a normal ethernet cable will be fine and the NIC will be able to auto detect if it need to switch which pins data is sent on to act like a crossover. 

Worst case, a cheap gigabit switch and a pair of ethernet cables will work fine and shouldn't cost much more than £20, if that. 

38 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Anyway, when it's up and running, I was thinking we could do a 2-person LAN party and play some co-op games. I haven't been to a LAN party in over 15 years, and I remember sometimes when it was just me and one other person, we had the yellow crossover cable.

As @Oshino Shinobusaid, you can use either cable now, but the main problem you may find is with game selection: it will work for older games, and a minority of new ones, but many games will require (often needlessly) to go through their servers anyway for multiplayer, making it a matter of getting both machines to the internet.

But hopefully you have a nice, LAN-capable game in mind :)

OK this is all good info. I have an Airport Extreme at my house that I could take with me. I didn't think about the internet access part. 15 years ago you didn't need to do that lol

I might just pop in one of my extra 802.11ac cards and go with that so we can both have internet access to auth whatever we're playing. Bummer.  

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 3600  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GL650F-B  |

Work Rig - AMD Ryzen 3 3200G  |  ASUS X570-P Prime  |  32GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  MSI GTX 1650 GDDR6  |  WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe  |  WD Blue 500GB SATA  |  Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SATA  |  Corsair TX650  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |