Difference between 1300rpm fan at max & 1700rpm fan at 1300rpm?

BourbonOrBust

Hello,

I'm looking at picking up some NF-P12 redux-1X00 PWM fans and they come in 1300 and 1700rpm variants.

I will likely be running these lower than 1300 so I won't need the extra headroom (for this build, who knows in the future).

They're the same price so I'm honestly not sure why you'd buy the slower one unless there's a benefit or are splitting the pwm signal to fans of other models as well and want to match the speeds.

Is there any difference in running a slow fan at max vs a faster fan at the same speed?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, BourbonOrBust said:

Hello,

I'm looking at picking up some NF-P12 redux-1X00 PWM fans and they come in 1300 and 1700rpm variants.

I will likely be running these lower than 1300 so I won't need the extra headroom (for this build, who knows in the future).

They're the same price so I'm honestly not sure why you'd buy the slower one unless there's a benefit or are splitting the pwm signal to fans of other models as well and want to match the speeds.

Is there any difference in running a slow fan at max vs a faster fan at the same speed?

Thanks

well, if the same type, they will both be the same, but the redux isn't that great, so maybe get the 1700 for the future, and since they are the same, why not?

2 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

the redux isn't that great

They're destined for a Alphacool NexXxos Monsta Radiator 240 (80mm thick and 10fpi) so they seem like a pretty good solution to me, especially at $14 compared to $20 for the NF-F12. They're also going into a satin black + polished aluminum build so the color scheme is a plus, but black would also be acceptable.

Do you have a recommendation you think would do better in that application?

The higher rpm is better if you have good fan control. If your fan control is more limited, the 1300rpm may be better suited. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, BourbonOrBust said:

They're destined for a Alphacool NexXxos Monsta Radiator 240 (80mm thick and 10fpi) so they seem like a pretty good solution to me, especially at $14 compared to $20 for the NF-F12. They're also going into a satin black + polished aluminum build so the color scheme is a plus, but black would also be acceptable.

Do you have a recommendation you think would do better in that application?

well, an f12 2000 pwm would be better I guess

On 11/24/2020 at 12:26 PM, BourbonOrBust said:

I will likely be running these lower than 1300 so I won't need the extra headroom

13 hours ago, Ankh Tech said:

well, an f12 2000 pwm would be better I guess

But would it?

I took the three RPMs available on the Notcua website, plotted Noise, Static Pressure, and Airflow, and added a linear trend line (it's an assumption, but fits pretty well). At 1300RPM and below, the NF-P12 is better in every category. It only starts to lose out on pressure above 1400RPM (not a big issue with low fin density), only gets louder above 1700RPM (not possible to reach), and has better airflow at all speeds.

Thanks for prompting me to plot it out though! 😅

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 12.39.19 PM.png