LG Ultrafine 5K on Windows 10

Hi all,

need help with a monitor setup i'm trying to get working. we have an unwelcome guest at the party, as usual, and the name, as usual, is........apple 🙄

basics: i'm trying to hook up an LG Ultrafine 5K thunderbolt display on windows 10 and have it run at 5k resolution. there's this guy who claims he was able to do it, and he wrote a full article about it here. the cat seems to have gotten his tongue when he's asked about any particulars though, so that's why i'm here. 

the premise is, to run 5k resolution, apple combines the streams of 2 display ports internally on its devices that are running this monitor, and then shoots the signal out the thunderbolt port and into this monitor getting...voila...5k resolution. 

according to this guy's article, that's what the titan ridge 2.0 card is supposed to do. but, alas, i am getting no such stream combining when i hook up the exact setup he's describing. 

I've tried this with two different video cards: one of them a quadro P4000, and the other a GTX 1060; no joy with either case. 

could you guys look into this? i've got a hefty investment sitting here that i'm just not able to get working. your guys' help would be much appreciated.

Jared

25 minutes ago, jwmb224 said:

could you guys look into this?

You bought the display for use under Windows? Or you're trying to repurpose it? 

For what it's worth I've had this display in the past and had very little success with it in Windows. I also had a board with an addin Thunderbolt 3 controller and could get only one display to work. My advice would be to sell the display and get a proper 5K monitor, if you purchased this specifically for use in Windows based on some experimental forum posts that's a lesson I guess.

Platform agnostic software engineer & small business owner. 

• 1 month later...

jeepers.. i never got notifications on your reply... my apologies.. i've been waiting for months on a reply for this...

i bought the display for use under windows, based on a forum post (which i linked above) 🤦‍♂️

the reason i bought it is, i have people who have been using iMacs (with bootcamp) up till now, and in trying to get them over to windows PC's (for upgradeability, reparability, and all other flexibilities not offered by iMacs). but one of the problems is, they refuse to believe that anybody anybody can match the display quality of a 5k iMac. (yes we all know that LG makes the panels for the iMacs. but somehow, either LG or apple are doing something to the iMac displays that just makes them a little crisper than what i've thus far seen in 4k displays even from LG. are they reserving certain technologies just for apple? haven't gotten to 5k yet till now) that's the only snag i have in getting them to switch. so my thinking was, if i bought an apple-sanctioned 5k external monitor, it would be a sure shot to get me where i need to be. the nut on the forum above made it sound real simple, too. 

so what is it that he's doing that we all cannot reproduce? 

it does not. that's what's so puzzling about this. that's the part from the forum genius i linked above that i can't make work. 

it seems the first display port i plug into the card is what works, plugging or unplugging the second one doesn't seem to have an effect. getting the thunderbolt card to put out two streams is basically what this seems to be hanging on, and what i can't make happen. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey bro, I was able to get it to work.

Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX

Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI Aorus Master 12G

Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0

Ultrafine 27" running at 5k

Everything was pretty straightforward. After you install everything, don't forget to use the short Displayport to Mini Displayport cable to get the signal from your graphics card and loop it back to the Titan Ridge card. After, plug your Ultrafine and it should work.

Note that volume and the camera doesn't work. I'm still figuring that bit out.

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2022 at 3:53 PM, nivlek said:

Hey bro, I was able to get it to work.

Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX

Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI Aorus Master 12G

Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0

Ultrafine 27" running at 5k

Everything was pretty straightforward. After you install everything, don't forget to use the short Displayport to Mini Displayport cable to get the signal from your graphics card and loop it back to the Titan Ridge card. After, plug your Ultrafine and it should work.

Note that volume and the camera doesn't work. I'm still figuring that bit out.

in your bios, under the thunderbolt options, there's something about enabling USB control. the internet says it'll help you. i'm still in the same place: i'm only getting one displayport stream. the second one is dead after i plug in the first one. if i leave the second one plugged in and restart, it comes alive. but then the first one is dead.