What everyday laptop to buy for my former-gamer boyfriend?

julie89

Hi all,

I want to buy a laptop for my boyfriend and don't know which one to choose, as I don't know much about computers. He, however, is a former gamer and thus in the know, but he doesn't game on computer anymore - now he just needs it for everyday use, maybe some netflix now and then.

I am considering one of these two, primarily because they are on sale in DK and fits the budget. I've tried to list the specs - hope I'm doing it right.

ASUS R565JA
Processor: Intel Core™ i5 , 1035G1, 1Ghz
8 GB DDR4 RAM
256 GB M.2 SSD

Asus D509DA-EJ881T
AMD Ryzem 7 3700U-processor
16 GB DDR4 RAM
512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe

Are any of them good options and which one would you prefer?

Many thanks!!

3 minutes ago, julie89 said:

Hi all,

I want to buy a laptop for my boyfriend and don't know which one to choose, as I don't know much about computers. He, however, is a former gamer and thus in the know, but he doesn't game on computer anymore - now he just needs it for everyday use, maybe some netflix now and then.

I am considering one of these two, primarily because they are on sale in DK and fits the budget. I've tried to list the specs - hope I'm doing it right.

ASUS R565JA
Processor: Intel Core™ i5 , 1035G1, 1Ghz
8 GB DDR4 RAM
256 GB M.2 SSD

Asus D509DA-EJ881T
AMD Ryzem 7 2700U-processor
16 GB DDR4 RAM
512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe

Are any of them good options and which one would you prefer?

Many thanks!!

Do these Laptops have a GPU?

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

1 minute ago, Enzo1001 said:

Do these Laptops have a GPU?

On the first one I can't find anything one the webpage. On the second one (Asus D509DA-EJ881T) it says: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10.

Hei, I found some good everyday laptops that are on sale for black friday in Denmark. They aren't the greatest gaming machines ever but they would get the job done.

Here are some links:

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ARH05 (Gaming)

Lenovo IdeaPad L340-15IRH (Gaming)

Asus ZenBook 14 UX425 Pure 2 14" (Thin & Light)

Asus D509DA-EJ881T 15,6" bærbar computer (Same one you found but with 3700u?)

Huawei MateBook 13 2020 i5/8GB/MX250 13" (Thin & Light with dedicated GPU)

Good Luck with the hunt! Hilser fra Norge.

3 minutes ago, TheEpicDuck said:

Hei, I found some good everyday laptops that are on sale for black friday in Denmark. They aren't the greatest gaming machines ever but they would get the job done.

Here are some links:

Kæmpe stort tak, det er en kæmpe hjælp!! 

5 minutes ago, TheEpicDuck said:

Here are some links:

the 2700u is a typo - I corrected it now :)

There is no such thing as a former gamer, going from 9 hour daily sessions to a couple of hours every month still means you are a gamer. It isn't a profession or a career. Playing a simple phone game on the bus makes you a gamer. Oh you play games? You're a gamer.

I work 9 to 5 Monday to Friday in an office, I finish at 5 then start Uber Eats until about 8 or 9 on my bicycle. Come back and sometimes play games or fall asleep to TV. I travel every weekend in my Van to mountain bike races, events and just the open country side. I spend time with friends, family and other relationships and don't have time to play games every day, because I would rather be doing something physical.

BUT I AM STILL A GAMER

I used to own a big rig when the i7 4790k and 980 ti was the number 1 thing to buy. Used to own that, the Switch, PS4 and Xbox One at the same time. I gave them all to family members over time. Then after a year of owning nothing but my phone and skipping a year of playing nothing other than what is available for Android.... which still makes you a gamer by the way!

Now this bring me to why I am here, I was in a similar situation to you, but I was buying for myself. I want a daily driver laptop for everything you could think you would need a laptop for and the occasional bit of gaming. Seeing as I own 730 games on Steam, it would be nice to have some access to my paid for content, rather then none at all.

So I bought an MSI GF65 the 2020, 2060 edition one. Put 16GB Ram in and added a 1TB M.2 to the spare SSD slot. It runs Netflix and Most games on Ultra/120fps because it seems the next generation of graphics cards are focused towards 4k and 1080p is the old standard of gaming that runs on anything like 480p

• Laptop: MSI GF65 + 16GB + 1.2TB + 2060 GTX + i7 9750H Display: 24" LG Ultra Gear 144hz Keyboard: Logitech G213 Mouse: Corsair Harpoon Sound Card: Traktor Kontrol S2 MK2 Speakers: Behringer CR4-X Other: Gaomon Graphics Tablet COOLING: Thermaltake Massive S14 Laptop Cooler