PS5 stuck on set up, will not recognise controller

Jake17500

hello folks, bit of a longhsot here but figured I'd see if anyone here had any ideas since sonys phone support has proven to be useless. 

got my new PS5 and set it up, all no issues and then when it reached the "press PS button" splash screen it stopped recognising the input from the controller. now its not a controller fault as we've been able to boot into safe mode and use the PS button to turn the PS5 on from sleep. we've gone as far as to reinstall the OS from a USB but now the PS5 is stuck on the very first screen still not recognising the input from the controller. we've bought a second contoller and thats had exactly the same issues, also tried using a different USB-C to A cable to no avail. 

So im just wondering if anyone here has any other ideas of what to do? we're trying to see if we can get it returned and replaced from the retailer we bought it from (but between the UK lockdown and the stock shortages thats looking like it may not be possible right now) so if its at all possible for us to fix it ourselved thats greatly preffered, or even if we can just work out what the fault is.

thanks in advance! attached is a picture of the screen the playstation is stuck on.

269976982_PS5screen.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did you ever get this resolved?  I am having the same issue.

On 11/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, Jake17500 said:

hello folks, bit of a longhsot here but figured I'd see if anyone here had any ideas since sonys phone support has proven to be useless. 

got my new PS5 and set it up, all no issues and then when it reached the "press PS button" splash screen it stopped recognising the input from the controller. now its not a controller fault as we've been able to boot into safe mode and use the PS button to turn the PS5 on from sleep. we've gone as far as to reinstall the OS from a USB but now the PS5 is stuck on the very first screen still not recognising the input from the controller. we've bought a second contoller and thats had exactly the same issues, also tried using a different USB-C to A cable to no avail. 

So im just wondering if anyone here has any other ideas of what to do? we're trying to see if we can get it returned and replaced from the retailer we bought it from (but between the UK lockdown and the stock shortages thats looking like it may not be possible right now) so if its at all possible for us to fix it ourselved thats greatly preffered, or even if we can just work out what the fault is.

thanks in advance! attached is a picture of the screen the playstation is stuck on.

269976982_PS5screen.jpg

Initially, I was going to ask if there a little button anywhere that pairs the controller with the console?

I remember the Xbox controllers had it, and it wouldn't recognise the pad via bluetooth until you held and pressed the little button.

I don't have a ps5 so I can't say if it has it.

Otherwise, it's a strange one.

It's clearly not the controllers needing a charge, is it, as you got passed the initial boot up, didn't you?

So, I'm afraid, it is likely there is a fault with the ps5 as it should recognise the pad immediately and stay connected. 

That's why I thought it might be a bluetooth issue with it not maintaining a proper connection. 

Hope you get it figured out.

Failing everything, Google and You Tube will, I'm sure, be your next step.

Good luck. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/2/2021 at 7:32 AM, Mamalouie said:

Did you ever get this resolved?  I am having the same issue.

Did you fix the issue? I am also having the same problem…. I’ve used 3 different controllers and 4 cables and the console isn’t recognizing the controllers. I’ve went into safe mode rebuilt the database, cleared cache, but for some reason when I try to install the latest software update, it shows that there’s 0 seconds left. 1.175gb out of 1.175gb and then an error occurs. “Something went wrong” I’ve been trying to fix the issue for 5 hours and still no luck…