good 500$ build?

Go to solution Solved by VEXICUS,
Just now, baconman699 said:

500$ but i want to go lower for everything also im a bit of an over achiever i WANTED to go DDR3 2000hz but any board that could go up to that would be 438$ and any kind of upgrade would put me near 1000$ anything close to that would be useless cuz im planning on buying a 3000$ full rig so buying something near 1000$ would land me at one step forward two steps back

No point in upgrading a dead platform. Sell your potato rig while it still holds some value and build an up to date rig. Something like this.

6 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

There you go mate...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.99 @ B&H) 

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($53.79 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Team T-Force Vulcan G 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB AERO ITX OC Video Card ($164.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.94 @ Newegg) 

Total: $517.68

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-19 12:25 EST-0500

Budget (including currency): 500$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1080p gaming, streaming,

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

no peripherals needed, upgrading from a HP Compaq 6300 Pro MT  

It's for sure not gonna stream and it's not gonna be great at gaming either but that basically has to do with there just not being budget the make things better with new parts. At this point you'd be better off getting at least a used gpu.

Also the psu is really bad.

I'd suggest going for a used GPU instead, for about 100$ you can easily pick up an rx480/rx580 which are much better than the rx 560 and will even allow you to stream at a fair quality. Additionally I'd suggest spending a little more money on the motherboard, perhaps getting a B450 Pro4, or B550 Pro-VDH.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's for sure not gonna stream and it's not gonna be great at gaming either but that basically has to do with there just not being budget the make things better with new parts. At this point you'd be better off getting at least a used gpu.

Also the psu is really bad.

lol im streaming on a R5 240 and an I7 2600 on CSGO, terraria, the escapists, and war thunder also no SSD

2 minutes ago, baconman699 said:

lol im streaming on a R5 240 and an I7 2600 on CSGO, terraria, the escapists, and war thunder also no SSD

Yeah those games can be streamed on a potato basically so no wonder it's working somewhat well. Honestly keep the hp here.

Get a better quality psu + the adapter to allow it to work on your board from ebay.

Get a much better gpu (probably used too)

Add an ssd to it

Call it a day for now. That would allow you the best possible experience with your budget.

as everyone is saying, don't get a rx560

8 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

that gpu is very weak for 1080p gaming and i can think you can save some bucks by going intel, i would recommend i3 10100f which is 20-30$ cheaper and you can spend that money on a decent gpu.

see what i mean? anything that's not free is like 4000$ i bet this is still a weak machine what the fuck did you guys think when covid hit? oh shit lets just buy REALLY NEW AND REALLY OLD PARTS FOR NO REASON!!!!

4 minutes ago, baconman699 said:

see what i mean? anything that's not free is like 4000$ i bet this is still a weak machine what the fuck did you guys think when covid hit? oh shit lets just buy REALLY NEW AND REALLY OLD PARTS FOR NO REASON!!!!

Part from the odd 1070 in there and a psu in there that I would not trust but can easily be replaced by one at the same budget this is a totally fine system. Can easily be budget optimized and modernized whilst being 900$.

Prices are very stable and not really higher than normal for anything but the newest of the new stuff really. Which you aren't shopping for anyways with your original budget.

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah those games can be streamed on a potato basically so no wonder it's working somewhat well. Honestly keep the hp here.

Get a better quality psu + the adapter to allow it to work on your board from ebay.

Get a much better gpu (probably used too)

Add an ssd to it

Call it a day for now. That would allow you the best possible experience with your budget.

my potato machines fan is loud, the cooler is a heat sink with a fan next to it, there is no room for cable management l and the PCI slots are on the wrong side of the MOBO, and oh yea the left side panel doesn't open!

my potato machines fan is loud, the cooler is a heat sink with a fan next to it, there is no room for cable management l and the PCI slots are on the wrong side of the MOBO 

Did you ever bother to replace the thermalpaste and cleaned out the heatsink? Those hp's are meant to be dead silent. All the other complaints aren't really any as well it's a closed case so cable management is not something needed and just making a bundle of cables is plenty, the slots are in a different spot as this is a btx board which was designed to be this way.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Did you ever bother to replace the thermalpaste and cleaned out the heatsink? Those hp's are meant to be dead silent. All the other complaints aren't really any as well it's a closed case so cable management is not something needed and just making a bundle of cables is plenty, the slots are in a different spot as this is a btx board which was designed to be this way.

DON'T WORRY I CLEANED IT after my Xbox arrived with more dust than components i sure as HELL cleaned it, although i own like no thermal paste also also tried to make good upgrades such as 16GB of ram thermal paste a cooler a SSD and a PSU and it landed me at like 500$ on PC part picker

7 minutes ago, baconman699 said:

my potato machines fan is loud, the cooler is a heat sink with a fan next to it, there is no room for cable management l and the PCI slots are on the wrong side of the MOBO, and oh yea the left side panel doesn't open!

There you go mate...

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($53.79 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB AERO ITX OC Video Card ($164.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.94 @ Newegg) 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 minute ago, baconman699 said:

DON'T WORRY I CLEANED IT after my Xbox arrived with more dust than components i sure as HELL cleaned it, although i own like no thermal paste also also tried to make good upgrades such as 16GB of ram thermal paste a cooler a SSD and a PSU and it landed me at like 500$ 

Ok but what is your budget right now and do you mind going used? Otherwise you'd not really get a good system either way. Best possible is @boggy77's system

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ok but what is your budget right now and do you mind going used? Otherwise you'd not really get a good system either way.

500$ but i want to go lower for everything also im a bit of an over achiever i WANTED to go DDR3 2000hz but any board that could go up to that would be 438$ and any kind of upgrade would put me near 1000$ anything close to that would be useless cuz im planning on buying a 3000$ full rig so buying something near 1000$ would land me at one step forward two steps back also warranties are still something i value

500$ but i want to go lower for everything also im a bit of an over achiever i WANTED to go DDR3 2000hz but any board that could go up to that would be 438$ and any kind of upgrade would put me near 1000$ anything close to that would be useless cuz im planning on buying a 3000$ full rig so buying something near 1000$ would land me at one step forward two steps back

Well get boggys build then best you can do. Ddr3 2000mhz is so beyond pointless anyways.

No point in upgrading a dead platform. Sell your potato rig while it still holds some value and build an up to date rig. Something like this.

6 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

There you go mate...

PCPartPicker Part List

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W