Am I .... DOOMED?

Flight1sim

So basically i got my SD card stuck in my laptop's slot, and i tore out a bunch of pins...

Can Lenovo or some other company replace the SD card reader?

And I know i can just buy a usb reader

JUST CURIOUS

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I bet you can replace the reader, but you need to find replacement parts on their site and stuff.

Diamond 5 in League :)

You can buy a separate SD card reader, And I am sure you can buy a replacement part for your laptop, open it up and fix everything. 

Just stuff it under floor mat and nobody will know.... You may have to get a USB SD card reader now, I don't think Lenovo can repair that.

So basically i got my SD card stuck in my laptop's slot, and i tore out a bunch of pins...

Can Lenovo or some other company replace the SD card reader?

And I know i can just buy a usb reader

JUST CURIOUS

no. if you tore it out then you will need a new logic board if it was attached to the logic board.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

no. if you tore it out then you will need a new logic board if it was attached to the logic board.

Eh thats what i thought

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Eh thats what i thought

Not necessarily. It really depends on the specific model of laptop. Some have the board soldered directly the motherboard, and some have a separate daughter board.

@Flight1sim if you are handy with a screw driver, then I recommend disassembling the laptop and looking for yourself. If the SD Card Reader is a separate board/part, then find the Part Number on it and order a replacement (ebay is good for that). If it's directly soldered onto the motherboard, then you're out of luck, but at least you learned something and know the inner workings of your laptop better now.

If you decide to take the laptop apart, just remember where the screws go. I suggest either making a screw diagram on paper or taking pictures as you go.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not necessarily. It really depends on the specific model of laptop. Some have the board soldered directly the motherboard, and some have a separate daughter board.

@Flight1sim if you are handy with a screw driver, then I recommend disassembling the laptop and looking for yourself. If the SD Card Reader is a separate board/part, then find the Part Number on it and order a replacement (ebay is good for that). If it's directly soldered onto the motherboard, then you're out of luck, but at least you learned something and know the inner workings of your laptop better now.

If you decide to take the laptop apart, just remember where the screws go. I suggest either making a screw diagram on paper or taking pictures as you go.

true but most laptops these days are soldered to the logic board. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

i know, but when i opened it up, the sd card reader was soldered onto the motherboard...

I was wondering if i can physically crack open the sd card reader casing and re-solder the pins on

true but most laptops these days are soldered to the logic board. 

You're very right, but there's only one way for the OP to find out, and it's a learning experience that I highly recommend to any tech enthusiast. Seeing a laptop disassembled really lets you appreciate the engineering (or lack thereof in some models) that goes into creating a compact computing device.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i know, but when i opened it up, the sd card reader was soldered onto the motherboard...

I was wondering if i can physically crack open the sd card reader casing and re-solder the pins on

Oh. Well, yes, you can de-solder and then re-solder the pins, assuming you can get your hands on a replacement part.

With that in mind, you'll have to examine the solder points. If they are too small, then a hand-held soldering iron will never be able to manage it. Also make sure there aren't any nearby chips on the motherboard, as the heat can easily fry them.

Do you have any experience with soldering?

Oh. Well, yes, you can de-solder and then re-solder the pins, assuming you can get your hands on a replacement part.

With that in mind, you'll have to examine the solder points. If they are too small, then a hand-held soldering iron will never be able to manage it. Also make sure there aren't any nearby chips on the motherboard, as the heat can easily fry them.

Do you have any experience with soldering?

I have to de-solder it?

I have the pins that broke off BTW 

And i know someone i can trust with a soldering iron

I have to de-solder it?

I have the pins that broke off BTW 

And i know someone i can trust with a soldering iron

Okay haha well then you may as well try it. You have to desolder if the pins are still attached. You're saying the pins broke right off? You'll need to check the solder points and surrounding PCB for cracks then. If that much force was applied to rip the pins right off the motherboard and solder, then it might've cracked the PCB.