WiFi is slower than what task manager is reporting??

Stargaze obama

As the title suggests, my internet is saying 4+ Mbps but when actually doing a download I get 600kbps at most, I'm using an Ethernet cable, so why is task mngr reporting faster speeds than what I'm actually getting? Even though its a small performance leap it would change my current situation of around 12hr=24gb downloaded to 2hrs 30 or so, and downloading updates ect means I can't use my PC for the rest of the day or days sometimes

Well task manager is showing 4.5mbps and you are getting 500KBps download. 1MBps = 10mbps.

This is because you are using 2 terms of bytes and bits.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

That's because Mbps is not the same as MBps. B means byte and b means bit. Each Byte has 8 bits, therefore 4.5 Mbps / 8=0.5625MB/s or 562.5KB/s which is really close to what you're getting on there.

2 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Well task manager is showing 4.5mbps and you are getting 500KBps download. 1MBps = 10mbps.

This is because you are using 2 terms of bytes and bits.

It's divided by 8 not 10. Each byte has 8 bits, not 10.

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That's because Mbps is not the same as MBps. B means byte and b means bit. Each Byte has 8 bits, therefore 4.5 Mbps / 8=0.5625MB/s or 562.5KB/s which is really close to what you're getting on there.

Oh, ok well that explains it, why do two different speed measurements exist with the same abbreviation? Thanks anyways

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That's because Mbps is not the same as MBps. B means byte and b means bit. Each Byte has 8 bits, therefore 4.5 Mbps / 8=0.5625MBps or 562.5KBps which is really close to what you're getting on there.

This also applies when going from Bytes to bits. So if you want to convert KB/s to Kbps then you just times by 8, so in your case it would be 553KB/s*8=4424Kbps which is the same as 4.424Mbps which again is pretty close to what task manager is reporting. So your speed is either 4.4 megabits per second or 553 kilobytes per second

Just now, Stargaze obama said:

Oh, ok well that explains it, why do two different speed measurements exist with the same abbreviation? Thanks anyways

Not exactly the same I believe bits are represent as bps, e.g. Mbps Kbps and bytes are represented as B/s e.g. MB/s KB/s and so on. I have no idea why it's done like this and why there just isn't one, that's just the way computers are.

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Not exactly the same I believe bits are represent as bps, e.g. Mbps Kbps and bytes are represented as B/s e.g. MB/s KB/s and so on. I have no idea why it's done like this and why there just isn't one, that's just the way computers are.

It's because data is transmitted as 1 or 0 (on or off) but the smallest amount of data you can store is 1 byte (8 bits)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: