Pc doesn't boot to windows half the time.

Redninja

Just about every other time I turn on my pc I get the "reboot and select proper boot device" message. To get around this I just force shutdown, turn off the power supply, turn it on again, hit the power button and boom and it boots into windows. Is there any way to fix this?

Other things to note

This pc boots from a ssd.

I checked the bios once when this happened and it only recognized the external ssd I have.

The cable that connects the ssd to the motherboard is new, but this problem still happened on the old cable.

The problem might be the SSD or the motherboard sata port. Try a different sata port and if that does not work it might be your ssd. 

Just now, Linus Drop TIps said:

The problem might be the SSD or the motherboard sata port. Try a different sata port and if that does not work it might be your ssd. 

One more thing make sure that your sata power is plugged into your ssd and power supply if it is modular or simi-modular. 

Well I know that the ssd is plugged to the power supply (which is fully-modular). It could be the sata port and later I will plug it into one of the others and see if to problem persists. Is it possible that the ssd in failing? I mean it appears to work just fine when it's running.

I'm guessing that Fast Startup is screwing with things, it's a Windows feature that puts your PC in a deep hibernation when you click shutdown for faster boot times. You said the issue happens every other time which makes me think that Windows is going into the hibernation whenever it gets an opportunity to "shutdown" properly, thus causing some conflict with the BIOS or some other firmware.

Lookup how to disable Fast Startup, there's tons of articles, iirc there's an option in the Control Panel somewhere and there's a CMD command for it as well.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Ohhhhh yeah I never disabled that after I reinstalled windows. Yeah ok I'll try that thanks.