PC won`t boot on first try or enter BIOS

G4rfield_CZ

Hi,

my PC started behaving weirdly few weeks back. Maybe both issues (described bellow) are related, maybe they are two separate issues.

PC won`t boot on the first try

When I turn PC on, it won`t POST with DRAM LED being turned on. Mouse and keyboard receive power (LEDs lid up) but I can`t use them to restart, operate and I don`t get any visual output with the monitor (tried Display Port, HDMI and different ports on graphic card). After a hard reset, it works fine but I don`t get any visual until Windows boots.

Can`t enter BIOS

For some reason I can`t enter BIOS, usually done with DEL key on my system. No visual output from monitor / graphic card, if computer POSTs I get to Windows, nowhere else. Can`t even force it via settings in Windows.

If it would be caused by faulty RAM, my assumption is it won`t boot even on second time. Also it would allow me to enter BIOS etc.? So maybe there is something different? Any idea how to fix it?

Specs:

• Asus x99-a II MB

• Intel i7 6800

• Zotac GTX 1070 AMP

• HyperX 32GB 2166MHz

• 750W PSU

Thanks for any ideas, going with a new MB and CPU isn`t preferred option :)

15 minutes ago, G4rfield_CZ said:

Can`t enter BIOS

Do you have fast boot enabled? Try clearing your cmos and it should let you in to the bios. Fingers and toes crossed.

18 minutes ago, G4rfield_CZ said:

PC won`t boot on the first try

When I turn PC on, it won`t POST with DRAM LED being turned on. Mouse and keyboard receive power (LEDs lid up) but I can`t use them to restart, operate and I don`t get any visual output with the monitor (tried Display Port, HDMI and different ports on graphic card). After a hard reset, it works fine but I don`t get any visual until Windows boots.

Again, try clearing the cmos. Do you have xmp/docp enabled by chance? It could be that your ram has worn down to the point it cant do it any more.

16 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

try clearing the cmos, and trying 1 stick of ram at a time.

Think I already tried it but with all 4 sticks of RAMs. I`ll give it another go and let you know @bmx6454

16 hours ago, Digideath said:

Do you have fast boot enabled? Try clearing your cmos and it should let you in to the bios. Fingers and toes crossed.

Again, try clearing the cmos. Do you have xmp/docp enabled by chance? It could be that your ram has worn down to the point it cant do it any more.

Thanks @Digideath, think I tried cleaning cmos a button on the back of my MB but for sure turned on the PC with all 4 sticks of RAM. I`ll give it another go and keep you posted.

I tried to disable fast boot, didn`t have any effect.

I didn`t turn on XMP in BIOS, also CPU-Z shows my RAM sticks running at 1076 MHz as are all JEDECs, so it should be off.

4 hours ago, G4rfield_CZ said:

think I tried cleaning cmos a button on the back of my MB

just to make sure, clearing the cmos involves removing the cr2032 battery, and disconnecting the psu from the outlet. usually clears in a few seconds, but leaving battery out and psu unplugged for like 5 minutes will do it for sure. there is also a set of jumpers on the mobo you can short, you would want to check your manual for which pins if you prefer that method. i would try it again if you aren't sure it worked.

45 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

just to make sure, clearing the cmos involves removing the cr2032 battery, and disconnecting the psu from the outlet. usually clears in a few seconds, but leaving battery out and psu unplugged for like 5 minutes will do it for sure. there is also a set of jumpers on the mobo you can short, you would want to check your manual for which pins if you prefer that method. i would try it again if you aren't sure it worked.

I think he is referring to the clear CMOS button present in the back of some motherboards. The method you describe is universal, but some MOBOs have this easier, more convenient method anyway.

As long as the POST greets you with "Hey, your CMOS has been reset" you should be quite sure it has been reset.

21 hours ago, iTor said:

I think he is referring to the clear CMOS button present in the back of some motherboards. The method you describe is universal, but some MOBOs have this easier, more convenient method anyway.

As long as the POST greets you with "Hey, your CMOS has been reset" you should be quite sure it has been reset.

22 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

Removing the battery for a length of 1 LTT video, did the trick. I put it all back together, got some boot issues but figured it out and now just need to fix my RAID 1 HDD setup and I`m back and running. Thanks for your help, guys! My wallet was getting sad but this fix made her very happy :)

On 11/18/2020 at 7:17 PM, G4rfield_CZ said:

Removing the battery for a length of 1 LTT video, did the trick. I put it all back together, got some boot issues but figured it out and now just need to fix my RAID 1 HDD setup and I`m back and running. Thanks for your help, guys! My wallet was getting sad but this fix made her very happy :)

Just checking... did removing the battery have a different impact than pressing the <Clear CMOS> button on the back of the motherboard? Or was it the same?