Are these adapters different?

6 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Oh yes, I understand now. I've thought about that, but it won't work. At first, yes, but within a few billing cycles it stops. Others have tried that hack, but it doesn't work. I understand, technically, the chip is the modem so why would it matter? But T-Mobile can tell what system that chip is connected to, and if it's in a pre-built system with a built in screen, like a laptop or tablet or 2 in 1, it's fine. They allow that. If it's custom, or a desktop, they won't. I tried replacing the WiFi card in my older Dell laptop with an LTE chip, accepting I'd only have LTE without WiFi, and they cut it off after 2 months on the basis that it was not a "prebuilt system with a built in screen" because that Dell was never sold with LTE, so it was not OK with them.

I just read you are in the usa so my apologies for that stuff with lte I suggested. Basically here it's on good faith that you don't abuse the service as them knowing what device it is in is a breach of privacy and you can just say no when they ask what device it is in. This would not fly here when they shut it off on those grounds :p.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I just read you are in the usa so my apologies for that stuff with lte I suggested. Basically here it's on good faith that you don't abuse the service as them knowing what device it is in is a breach of privacy and you can just say no when they ask what device it is in. This would not fly here when they shut it off on those grounds :p.

I see. Yeah, here they can do that. In fact, the laptop is already pushing things, it's a tablet plan intended for mobile operating systems. But, when Surface tablet owners with full desktop Windows could use it and laptop owners couldn't, people threw a fit and T-Mobile at least, I can't speak for Verizon or AT&T, but T-Mobile updated the TOS and whitelisting so any "prebuilt system with a screen" could work on a tablet plan.