5800x vs 3900x

Right now you can buy a 3900x for roughly the same price as what the 5800x sells for when they are back in stock. Am I missing something or wouldnt the 3900x be the better deal for an everyday user?

depends on workload 99% of the time the 5800x will be better, most people don't have a workload that will use all 12 cores

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5800X has higher boost clocks, higher stable FLCK and memory clocks, faster single thread perf, better efficiency, even faster multi-thread perf, better branch prediction, pretty much, you name it, it's probably faster than previous gen. The only reason why you might want to go with the 3900X is getting more cores for less. And besides, the 3900X is still a very fast chip. 

The problem is, that we don't know if in the future programs and games will handle more cores better than less but more powerful. right now for gaming it is 5800x > 3900x

I have the same problem as you are. I am not sure if I want to wait for the 5800x or just get the 3900x right now. 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

5800X for the epeen. 

3900X for the thread count. 

Get the 5800X IMO. (no poll :( )