USB Raid Using Thumb Drives?

Ty34er

So I got a Facebook add for the following Amazing listing of 50 16GB flash drives:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K583PJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_dlC_AZ2RFb1MV0M1W

(Not an affiliate link since it was from a Facebook ad and I think this is a limit time deal.)

I suddenly remembered the micro SD card "SSD" video and was thinking that, given the right adapters, this could be a stupid mass storage system that exists. It would be 800 GB, which isn't terrible, though the speed would leave something to be desired.

I guess the scenario would be you are a company recruiter and your swag was flash drives but then you had extra? Idk, it's stupud but it would be interesting to see.

I'd be shocked if it would be worth in terms of speed if it did work.  Further it's USB 2.0, but that's no guarantee of the speed of the chips inside.

If you're trying it as a project for fun? Maybe? I wouldn't try it for anything you expect reliability or consistent speed from.

usb flash drives are unreliable, one will fail, and there goes all the data on that raid array

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Possible, but most likely horrible reliability (more like lack of one) and speed for the price that's quite simply put disgustingly high. For that price you can already get an NVMe drive, let alone good 'ol regular platter with five times the storage, and neither will suffer from all the downsides.

-> Moved to Storage Device

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This would be SO cool to see in action but I predict that you'll be held back by USB controller speed. If you were to legitimately deploy this then definitely go for a raid format that lets you rebuild data.

Big gaming much youtube video making

i7 4790k @ 4.8 GHz -- Corsair H100i   |   2x8 HyperX fury + 2x4 another HyperX = 24 Gb: very cursed I know

EVGA GTX 980 with very boring   |   1 TB Rocket Q + 18 TB spinning metal and a 1 TB server out of garbage

Define R4 + tape to plug up holes   |   1,000W EVGA Supernova   |   Maximus 7 (VII) Hero   |   still have an optical drive

Quickfire TK and OG g502, the mouse I simp for

3x1080p60, plus a tv and a modified photo frame please help i have too many monitors

I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows with a history of dual-booting Manjaro. not cool enough to use arch btw

Surface Pro 4 and iPhone X (not a sheep I swear)

Find me at https://linktr.ee/RaddedMC