[UPDATED] Storage/Server PC

DankDoodles

Budget (including currency): $1,750 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Storage/Backup (PC, personal/family photos, & camera footage), Minecraft Server (Possibly with mods), and possibly different types of game servers.

Other details: I am planning on re-using parts of my old computer with this new computer, which explains why some things in my PCPartPicker list says "Purchased For $0.00" because I already have those parts.

Here is my PCPartPicker list

I am planning on getting the SM580 Slinger case to put all of this stuff in, here is the case configuration:

• Panel Color: Obsidian Black
  • Panel Option (GPU Side): Vented
  • Panel Option (Motherboard Side): Vented
  • Front Panel Board Connector: Single 19-Pin
  • Riser Cable: Single PCIe 3.0 16x Riser
  • Power Supply Cable: Standard Flush Mount
  • Handle Options: None

The cost of the case will be: $269.00

The total cost of the parts from PCPartPicker & the SM580 case is: ~$620.78

What are your thoughts? Anything that I should change? etc.

Note: This list is subject to be updated, thank you all for the suggestions!

Cost has changed from: $1685.90 → $1,648.10 → $1,256.80 → $1,157.80 → $655.73 → $620.78

Edited by DankDoodles
Updated prices & items

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

looks fine, make sure to use a vpn for your mc server, dont want everyone and their monkey with your ip.

AMD blackout rig

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

looks fine, make sure to use a vpn for your mc server, dont want everyone and their monkey with your ip.

Thanks!

I got a note from PCPartPicker that says

• "The NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard."

I just remembered that I don't have the AMD mounting adapter since the computer I am re-using parts is from a Intel PC build.

How do I get the AMD mounting adapter for the NZXT cooler?

18 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

I just remembered that I don't have the AMD mounting adapter since the computer I am re-using parts is from a Intel PC build.

How do I get the AMD mounting adapter for the NZXT cooler?

if you cantact their support site they should be able to send you one, also the 3800x comes with a pretty decent stock cooler

AMD blackout rig

Do you have plans for 10Gbit networking? I'd opt for a 4TB HDD as oppose to a 4TB SSD if you don't. There's no real perk to an SSD on a 1Gig network and you're still bottlenecking it severely on 2.5Gbit.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Do you have plans for 10Gbit networking? I'd opt for a 4TB HDD as oppose to a 4TB SSD if you don't. There's no real perk to an SSD on a 1Gig network and you're still bottlenecking it severely on 2.5Gbit.

I was thinking of getting a HDD but the case that I am going to use won't fit the AIO and the HDD

44 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Storage/Backup (PC, personal/family photos, & camera footage), Minecraft Server (Possibly with mods), and possibly different types of game servers.

For that all you need is any working pc with lan and hdd. No need to build powerful pc. Game server is not the same as game.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

For that all you need is any working pc with lan and hdd. No need to build powerful pc. Game server is not the same as game.

Can you elaborate more?

6 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

I was thinking of getting a HDD but the case that I am going to use won't fit the AIO and the HDD

A rather expensive solution to that problem don't you think? How do you plan on handling future expansion if you've confined yourself to a single 2.5" bay for mass storage?

2 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

Can you elaborate more?

Well, a game server doesn't run "the game" so to speak. A server for something like this just handles player data, if the player has moved, if the player has interacted with the environment, player statistics (health/score/name/etc), etc, etc.

A server controlling this data doesn't have the same workload as the client system running the game. In fact unless you have A LOT of players the server will barely be utilizing the CPU at all to run the game server.

Not to mention IIRC the MC server software is VERY single threaded. Unless you plan on doing some real multitasking on this thing it's kind of a waste.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

A rather expensive solution to that problem don't you think? How do you plan on handling future expansion if you've confined yourself to a single 2.5" bay for mass storage?

Well, a game server doesn't run "the game" so to speak. A server for something like this just handles player data, if the player has moved, if the player has interacted with the environment, player statistics (health/score/name/etc), etc, etc.

A server controlling this data doesn't have the same workload as the client system running the game. In fact unless you have A LOT of players the server will barely be utilizing the CPU at all to run the game server.

Not to mention IIRC the MC server software is VERY single threaded. Unless you plan on doing some real multitasking on this thing it's kind of a waste.

I am planning on running plugins and mods on the server with a group of friends, and since it fits in my budget might as well get a good CPU with it.

Also I am not Linus, I don't need that much storage for backup and etc.

Edited by DankDoodles

52 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

I am planning on running plugins and mods on the server with a group of friends, and since it fits in my budget might as well get a good CPU with it.

Also I am not Linus, I don't need that much storage for backup and etc.

Yes, but you can spend that money on many better things. Cheap pc for server and rest for... I don't know, better monitor for your main pc? Big good speakers and amplifier for better sound experience? Few good gamepads? Gaming keyboard maybe or big ssd for games? I assume that it will be separate computer, not your main pc for server and playing games.

11 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Yes, but you can spend that money on many better things. Cheap pc for server and rest for... I don't know, better monitor for your main pc? Big good speakers and amplifier for better sound experience? Few good gamepads? Gaming keyboard maybe or big ssd for games? I assume that it will be separate computer, not your main pc for server and playing games.

Should I just re-use my Intel Core i5-8600K 6-Cores 3.6 GHz and go with a Intel PC instead of AMD?

If you already have i5 8600k then you have processor not only good for server, but even for gaming pc. 6 fast cores with oc possibility is something that should work well. But if you must buy everything else... I don't really know. It's up to you. I still don't know if you want to play on this pc or just use it as game server and pc for Corel and PS. For that you probably don't even need gpu.

28 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

If you already have i5 8600k then you have processor not only good for server, but even for gaming pc. 6 fast cores with oc possibility is something that should work well. But if you must buy everything else... I don't really know. It's up to you. I still don't know if you want to play on this pc or just use it as game server and pc for Corel and PS. For that you probably don't even need gpu.

Gotcha and thank you so much for telling me

I just updated the original forum post(the PCPartPicker list). What do you think about the system now?

Edited by DankDoodles

Looks nice except too much fans, but that's just me. ;)

Also, I have Seasonic Prime Gold and I strongly recommend you to choose BeQuiet. From my experience it's just better choice. Some PurePower or StraightPower serie.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Looks nice except too much fans, but that's just me. ;)

Also, I have Seasonic Prime Gold and I strongly recommend you to choose BeQuiet. From my experience it's just better choice. Some PurePower or StraightPower serie.

I heard that yes BeQuiet allows your PC to be more quiet, but also raises temperatures a lot.

1 minute ago, DankDoodles said:

I heard that yes BeQuiet allows your PC to be more quiet, but also really raises temperature.

Seasonic may have half-passive mode, but when fan starts - it sounds crappy and unpleasant (and you can find examples on YouTube). Also - it's the only PSU I have that I must plug my internal hotplug bays to separate cable because somehow voltage spikes on the same cable, when I inserted HDD, causes system freeze. So %@!^ that famous quality. I am happy that it has 10 years of guarantee, but that's all.

I never heard about temperature problem with BeQuiet. And I use them in many builds.

Temperature also depends on serie - the higher serie (Gold, Platinum etc) the less heat.

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Seasonic may have half-passive mode, but when fan starts - it sounds crappy and unpleasant (and you can find examples on YouTube). Also - it's the only PSU I have that I must plug my internal hotplug bays to separate cable because somehow voltage spikes on the same cable, when I inserted HDD, causes system freeze. So %@!^ that famous quality. I am happy that it has 10 years of guarantee, but that's all.

I never heard about temperature problem with BeQuiet. And I use them in many builds.

Temperature also depends on serie - the higher serie (Gold, Platinum etc) the less heat.

I don't think it would be best for me to get a be quiet power supply.

Would the EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold power supply work?

You can get whatever you want, most of well known brands made good PSU series, I'm just talking about my experience and I like BeQuiet PSUs because they never let me down.