My i7-10700 is throttling fast! help!

Bytemare

Greetings! :)

Just finished my PC build and started doing some cpu test just to check if everything is ok. After a short min in AIDA64 cpu-stresst test I see that my CPU goes from 4.8 down to 3.0ghz pretty fast. And stays there.

The cpu temp was around 75C when it throttled. 

I'm using a ASUS ROG Strix Z490-A GAMING - Intel Core i7-10700 (none K since I got a good price and dont need to OC it) and got a orsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum SE with custom noctua paste applied.

I really dont know much about the bios settings, but I've just enabled the XMP settings and thats pretty much it.

So my question is, is this normal? Like after a short min it thottles right away and can't stay stable at 4.8ghz during a normal stress test?

Intel 10th gen spec limits power draw after 56/28 seconds (based on if overclockable). Look for power limit settings in your bios.

5 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Dumb question, but is the protective plastic peeled off of the AIO?
It happened to a friend.

haha yeah it is. I removed the pre-applied thermal paste and applied the Noctua NT-H2 thermal paste instead. I dobble checked that the waterblock from the aio also is mounted correct with no gap at the cpu socket. I'm just worried if the cpu has a fault when running 100% that it throttles so fast down to 3.5 ish when running a torture test.

4 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@Bytemare Your long term turbo power limit is set to the default 65 Watts. That is not enough to run your CPU at its full rated speed during a stress test. Go in the BIOS and look for this setting.

Thanks for the tip. But, I have to ask...is my cpu acting normal at this point? I'm just using my PC for gaming and want it to act decent. Really just want to know if it's "ok" and accept these results with this cpu for my use. :) 

1 hour ago, Bytemare said:

Thanks for the tip. But, I have to ask...is my cpu acting normal at this point? I'm just using my PC for gaming and want it to act decent. Really just want to know if it's "ok" and accept these results with this cpu for my use. :) 

It is normal, but is mostly so intel can have a low TDP. Most games tend do not load enough threads for long enought to pass the default wattage. I would still personally increase the wattage if your temperature is fine.