is it okay to buy and use a copy of windows 7 oem

stephenc66

i was just wondering is it okay to use a copy of windows 7 if it is a oem copy im building a gaming pc and would just like to know if i can save a few extra euro or is it just better to buy a consumer edition of windows

Yup you can use them, I use OEM on pretty much every build I do. The only problem is that OEM copies get locked to the specific motherboard that you were using when you installed it.

OEM is fine to use; however, do note that it can only be used on one "computer". That is, it is tied to what ever motherboard you originally install Windows on. If you were to swap over motherboards, you would need to buy another copy. I think you may be able to activate it again, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

OEM is fine to use; however, do note that it can only be used on one "computer". That is, it is tied to what ever motherboard you originally install Windows on. If you were to swap over motherboards, you would need to buy another copy. I think you may be able to activate it again, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

Yea I think you can email/call microsoft up and they will sort it out for a new motherboard.

Yea I think you can email/call microsoft up and they will sort it out for a new motherboard.

Thought it was something like that - cheers for clarification :D

thank you!! haha  glad to hear that.im not to bothered about it being locked to the motherboard because i dont plan on changing it anytime soon. thanks again for the replies 

Mmm i'm going to have to do ye olde call microsoft to transfer mine,

"hey i've had a new motherboard put in my PC but my PC now says that my copy isnt legit help!" (As noobish sounding as possible)

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

i was just wondering is it okay to use a copy of windows 7 if it is a oem copy im building a gaming pc and would just like to know if i can save a few extra euro or is it just better to buy a consumer edition of windows

Windows 7 license agreement for OEM, states that OEMs version of Windows cannot be transferred once installed and activated on a system.

The product key is registered with the motherboard. Activation will fail.

Only the RETAIL and UPGRADE licenses of Windows 7 are transferable.

Source:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=PMVchXR4bIJ?faq3

Full license agreement:

http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/UseTerms/Windows_7 Professional_English_be6adac5-0b3a-46f3-8419-2492dcb99f37.pdf

It depends really. Of the 6 upgrades I've done (myself and others) over the past 5 years. I only had to call Microsoft once and they let it reactivate. A lot of times if you upgrade your MOBO but use the same Storage Device the OS was already on, it boots up no problem and you never get any notification of having a "non genuine" copy of windows.

Windows 7 license agreement for OEM, states that OEMs version of Windows cannot be transferred once installed and activated on a system.

The product key is registered with the motherboard. Activation will fail.

Only the RETAIL and UPGRADE licenses of Windows 7 are transferable.

Source:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=PMVchXR4bIJ?faq3

Full license agreement:

http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/UseTerms/Windows_7 Professional_English_be6adac5-0b3a-46f3-8419-2492dcb99f37.pdf

That may be true, but Microsoft doesn't hold to that. Numerous people have talked about calling Microsoft up and explaining, then getting a new code.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Doesn't mater.

Maybe Microsoft is cool today... but how about tomorrow?

Doesn't mater.

Maybe Microsoft is cool today... but how about tomorrow?

you can always lie and say your motherboard broke.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

That still goes against the License Agreement that you agreed upon when installing Windows. Lying doesn't magically make it ok.

You signed a contract agreement, and going outside of your contract.

Unless you love having the forum shutdown under cease and desist order for illegal activity, go ahead, continue this kind of activity. I am sure Linus and all the mods are cool with that. Might as well going against the License agreement of Windows, why not share link to torrents with cracks of Windows. Lets help our dear old OP, but giving him ways to get Windows for free in an "illegal" fashion. I mean it's perfectly correct, under the law, in Canada to download anything, you just can't upload. I am sure Microsoft lawyers have better things to do, than to shutdown some tiny forum.

And lets go on the debate on how you are just sharing links and not actually sharing without permission a software, music, movies. 'cause that worked so well with many torrent sites and free streaming sites.

There are certain automated buttons you can press when calling up to activate a normal license that you can use for infinite installs. I wouldn't recommend it though, I got a hole bunch of my PC's blacklisted because I accidentally pressed the wrong button :(

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

It depends really. Of the 6 upgrades I've done (myself and others) over the past 5 years. I only had to call Microsoft once and they let it reactivate. A lot of times if you upgrade your MOBO but use the same Storage Device the OS was already on, it boots up no problem and you never get any notification of having a "non genuine" copy of windows.

This has been my case. I have never built a new system from the ground up. Have only upgraded individual parts or groups of parts while still using hardware carried over. Only required to do the automated activation once in 5 years

For the OP - The retailers technically can only sell OEM to you if you build a full system. In other words do get OEM instead of retail it will save you a lot of money!

My Rig - Intel 4670K (4.3Ghz) Cooler Noctua NH-C14| Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H | 16GB GSkill 1866MHz | Gigabyte 7970 OC  | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Thermaltake Overseer RX-I  | Thermaltake TP Qfan 750w

Brothers rig- AMD FX-6100(4.1 GHz) | Gigabyte 990FXA -D3 | 8GB GSkill 1866MHz | Sapphire 7870 Ghz OC  | Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb | Antec 900 v3  | Antec Neopower Blue 650w

okay just to start off we are only talking about windows oem and if its okay to use it or not so calm down their i don't even own a copy of windows right now oem or consumer and no the forum wont be shut down no illegal activity is going on in this forum or any other we are talking that is all!!! also no one shared any links to torrents sites or anywhere to buy oem copys of windows

Ah ok, I think there was a miss understanding.

As stating here:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/personal-use-license.aspx#fbid=PMVchXR4bIJ

Windows 8 OEM you can use it for personal usage

Windows 7 OEM you must sale the computer to someone (But nothing stops you from selling it to your Dad, let's say, and you buy it immediately back from him. It is legal. The license does NOT state that you can't do this :)). This is what most people that build a system do... hence why Microsoft updated the License agreement in Windows 8, to something that makes more sense.

So when my Crosshair was sent in for a RMA I put in a UD3 from Gigabyte.I used the same HDD and the same..well every thing..except the MB. I knew my RMA'd board would take awhile to return home..and I needed a running system.I did have to re-key my OEM Windows 7..on the UD3. It all worked out fine. When my Crosshair came back, I took out the UD3. This is where Windows informed me that I was using a illegal copy of Windows. No on-line activation would work, so I got on the PHONE and talked to their people. I explained what had happened about the RMA'd board and the UD3 replacement..and the re-installation of my Crosshair,  I was treated very well. They understood . I was led through a few set up screens and my Windows 7 was back in the legal arena. This was my experience.

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..